PDA

View Full Version : Connected my audigy 2 zs....

Fluff
7th September 2004, 13:02
To the power amp stage directly of my Nad integrated amp, and it sounds much better. And using my soundcard as the volume control, for playing cd's/mp3s etc.. It sounds much better clearer, more bass etc. than my £300 Nad cd player going through the preamp bit !! Think i might e-bay it.

Not suprising really I suppose. The signal path is alot shorter. Just gotta be careful I dont put the volume too high.

Pete

Umfriend
8th September 2004, 05:47
What if you connect your NAD CD player directly to the power stage? Does the CD player have volume control?

Jammrock
8th September 2004, 07:42
Does the CD player have volume control?
I would think not ... especially any higher-end player, as they are design specifically for component systems.

If you really want to tinker you can connect your NAD CD to your Audigy 2 ZS and use that as your pre-amp. Assuming you have just the vanilla Audigy 2 ZS (no platinum lines) you can get an RCA-to-1/8th" (3.5 mm?) adapter, run the NAD CD to the A2 ZS's line-in, and run playback tests with CD-ROM/software player vs. NAD CD. In theory, the NAD CD will sound better than your CD-ROM drive when using the same pre-amp source (i.e. the A2 ZS) ... in theory.

If you do the experiment and the NAD sounds better going through the A2 ZS then the obvious answer would be that the NAD pre-amp isn't that good.

Anyway, it would be a fun experiment. Here's an example of the cable needed:

http://www.monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=135

Jammrock

Fluff
8th September 2004, 10:17
I suspect the preamp isn't incredibly good. the ideal bit of kit that i would like to try out is this...

http://www.benchmarkmedia.com/digital/dac1/default.asp

not esp cheap tho...

Jammrock
8th September 2004, 10:27
Originally posted by Fluff
I suspect the preamp isn't incredibly good. the ideal bit of kit that i would like to try out is this...

http://www.benchmarkmedia.com/digital/dac1/default.asp

not esp cheap tho...

yeah ... $1000 USD DA converter vs. $20 cable.

Fluff
9th September 2004, 05:12
Never used the line in on the soundcard, tried i tlast night, and one of the channels doesent work, tried a different cable.. still no joy. I have had it for 6 months :(

Peter

Umfriend
9th September 2004, 05:40
I would think not ... especially any higher-end player, as they are design specifically for component systems.I remember reading that more and more source devices come with volume control as the output tends to be clean to such an extent that a pre-amp is hardly required anymore, and this was for the more expensive range (whatever that may mean). I'll try and find it.

Jammrock
9th September 2004, 09:07
Originally posted by Umfriend
I remember reading that more and more source devices come with volume control as the output tends to be clean to such an extent that a pre-amp is hardly required anymore, and this was for the more expensive range (whatever that may mean). I'll try and find it.
Never seen a CD player with a volume knob in the $500+ range. The problem with putting one on, is you still need some type of pre-amp if you use more than one source. Amps only have input for 1 device. Adding more than that and you're back to a pre-amp...

I've seen lots of DVD players with integrated volume and power all in one unit. They are the best sounding devices in the world, but they get the job done.

Fluff:

You saying you're only getting one channel out of the NAD CD player when you use the 3.5mm stereo to RCA adapter? You made you they sold you the stereo 3.5 mm plug?

Jammrock

Fluff
9th September 2004, 11:01
The cable is not at fault, i'm gonna open up the card and check the connections. it is possible one of the pins is bent or not soldered correctly.

Peter

VJ
13th September 2004, 05:21
Originally posted by Jammrock
Never seen a CD player with a volume knob in the $500+ range. The problem with putting one on, is you still need some type of pre-amp if you use more than one source. Amps only have input for 1 device. Adding more than that and you're back to a pre-amp...

FWIW, my Onkyo Integra 7711 has one (it has 4 outputs: fixed volume, variable volume, digital coax, digital optical), and I believe the more expensive 7911 (which certainly is in the $500+ range) also has the same outputs...

Jörg