Connected my audigy 2 zs....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connected my audigy 2 zs....

To the power amp stage directly of my Nad integrated amp, and it sounds much better. And using my soundcard as the volume control, for playing cd's/mp3s etc.. It sounds much better clearer, more bass etc. than my £300 Nad cd player going through the preamp bit !! Think i might e-bay it.

Not suprising really I suppose. The signal path is alot shorter. Just gotta be careful I dont put the volume too high.

Pete

What if you connect your NAD CD player directly to the power stage? Does the CD player have volume control?
    Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
    [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Does the CD player have volume control?
      I would think not ... especially any higher-end player, as they are design specifically for component systems.

If you really want to tinker you can connect your NAD CD to your Audigy 2 ZS and use that as your pre-amp. Assuming you have just the vanilla Audigy 2 ZS (no platinum lines) you can get an RCA-to-1/8th" (3.5 mm?) adapter, run the NAD CD to the A2 ZS's line-in, and run playback tests with CD-ROM/software player vs. NAD CD. In theory, the NAD CD will sound better than your CD-ROM drive when using the same pre-amp source (i.e. the A2 ZS) ... in theory.

If you do the experiment and the NAD sounds better going through the A2 ZS then the obvious answer would be that the NAD pre-amp isn't that good.

Anyway, it would be a fun experiment. Here's an example of the cable needed:

Jammrock
      Last edited by Jammrock; 8 September 2004, 07:48.
      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I suspect the preamp isn't incredibly good. the ideal bit of kit that i would like to try out is this...

not esp cheap tho...

Comment

Originally posted by Fluff
          I suspect the preamp isn't incredibly good. the ideal bit of kit that i would like to try out is this...

not esp cheap tho...
          yeah ... $1000 USD DA converter vs. $20 cable.

Comment

Never used the line in on the soundcard, tried i tlast night, and one of the channels doesent work, tried a different cable.. still no joy. I have had it for 6 months

Peter

Comment

I would think not ... especially any higher-end player, as they are design specifically for component systems.
              I remember reading that more and more source devices come with volume control as the output tends to be clean to such an extent that a pre-amp is hardly required anymore, and this was for the more expensive range (whatever that may mean). I'll try and find it.
              Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
              [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Originally posted by Umfriend
                I remember reading that more and more source devices come with volume control as the output tends to be clean to such an extent that a pre-amp is hardly required anymore, and this was for the more expensive range (whatever that may mean). I'll try and find it.
                Never seen a CD player with a volume knob in the $500+ range. The problem with putting one on, is you still need some type of pre-amp if you use more than one source. Amps only have input for 1 device. Adding more than that and you're back to a pre-amp...

I've seen lots of DVD players with integrated volume and power all in one unit. They are the best sounding devices in the world, but they get the job done.

Fluff:

You saying you're only getting one channel out of the NAD CD player when you use the 3.5mm stereo to RCA adapter? You made you they sold you the stereo 3.5 mm plug?

Jammrock

Comment

The cable is not at fault, i'm gonna open up the card and check the connections. it is possible one of the pins is bent or not soldered correctly.

Peter

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock
                    Never seen a CD player with a volume knob in the $500+ range. The problem with putting one on, is you still need some type of pre-amp if you use more than one source. Amps only have input for 1 device. Adding more than that and you're back to a pre-amp...
                    FWIW, my Onkyo Integra 7711 has one (it has 4 outputs: fixed volume, variable volume, digital coax, digital optical), and I believe the more expensive 7911 (which certainly is in the $500+ range) also has the same outputs...

Jörg
                    pixar
                    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Working...
                    X