Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• File Splitting While Downloading

Hi All,

I'm looking for some software (if it exists at all) that can split a large file while downloading it. Since I will be on Win98 OS. this will not allow large files. Later I will be able to join the parts in WinXP

Debbie
    We pass this way only once. Make the most of it !

Well I use GetRight as a download manager. It automatically downloads large files in multiple streams to maximize bandwidth. But it automatically combines the streams locally, so I'm not sure if it suits your needs. It's shareware so you can try it out to see how it works for you.
    P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

Thanks anyway. Getright is what I also use, together with FlashGet. Both these, split files during downloading but merge them back when downloding is over.

Comment

How big is the download that you need to split the files?

I've used WinRar to do file splits for email before. There's another program, I think it's called winAxe that can do the same. You can use either of those if you have some control at the source.
        P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

those files must be over 4Gb as that's the largest size allowed on a fat32 partition.

Comment

Hi,
            Did you try WinSplit?
            aborange.de - Shareware und Freeware - Auktionstools, eBay-Tools, Datensicherung, Backup Software, Synchronisation, Newslettermarketing, Software für Lehrer

For a couple of years I used it to split large files to what ever you want, e.g. I split a large Ghost file to burn them to CDs, when I didn't have DVD.
            I don't know if it works during a downloading process.

[Edited]: You can download a free Winsplit9 here:

BTW, I never downloaded a larger than 4 GB file. Not even from a BitTorrent neither.
            I think most of uploaders split their files in smaller chunks.
            How many times I tried to download a large file and the server shut down when 98% of the file was down.
            The way to go is to split the files at the upload side and so the WinSplit95 is very useful for this. The downloader don't need this program, because WinSplit allowes to prepare the components to self re-join if you want.

Just a WARNING Do NOT install WinSplit, because it associates some files that you never can reassociate. Just run the program, DO NOT INSTALL.

Fred
            Last edited by Fred H; 5 September 2004, 12:49.
            It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings...
            ------------------------------------------------

Comment

I cant see how you are going to be able to do this... any file splitting program will presumuably require the original file before it can split it.... I can't imagine what single files will be > 4GB though... even DVDs are limited to VOBs of 1GB.
              The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Sorry to have bothered you guys.
                I have been under the impression that FAT 32 only goes up to 2 Gig.
                I have just been reading that the absolute limit is 4 Gig. MY download is around 3 Gig, so I should be ok.

Fred, I have to drop you a line or two soon. Look after yourself, friend.

Debbie

Comment

Originally posted by Debbie
                  Sorry to have bothered you guys.
                  I have been under the impression that FAT 32 only goes up to 2 Gig.
                  I have just been reading that the absolute limit is 4 Gig. MY download is around 3 Gig, so I should be ok.

Fred, I have to drop you a line or two soon. Look after yourself, friend.

Debbie
                  Your not the only one from DV forum that has mixed up fat32 max filesize and max AVI file size
                  If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Working...
                  X