A new Internet2 Speed Record set!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A new Internet2 Speed Record set!

Scientists at the California Institute of Technology and the European Organization for Nuclear Research set a new land-speed record for Internet2 boosting up to 859 gigabytes of data in less than 17 minutes. The average data rate was measured at 6.63 gigabits per second between CERN's facility in Geneva, Switzerland and Caltech in Pasadena, Calif., a distance of more than 15,766 kilometers, or approximately 9,800 miles.

Internet2 is a second-generation network serving universities and research institutes.

Researchers aren't the only ones excited about blazing data speeds. This record speed of 6.63Gbps is equivalent to transferring a full-length DVD movie in four seconds. There are uses in astronomy, bioinformatics, global climate modeling and seismology, as well as commercial applications from entertainment to oil and gas exploration.

Scientists at the California Institute of Technology (Caltech) and the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN) set a new land-speed record for
    According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

hehehehe ... working for a telco with a big fiber backbone, these speeds aren't too far fetched. There's lots of "dark fiber" (fiber in the ground that's not being used) out there ready to be turned on when the internet needs more bandwidth.

Jammrock
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

meanwhile, my school resnet gives me 1.5GB/week cap... lol...with internet2 reaching that cap can take less than a second

Comment

Give me 5mins on that with bittorrent!
        The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Working...
        X