SpinRite 6.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SpinRite 6.0

Remember a while back I posted abouit a drive that was screweed up by Norton DiskDoctor ( ) with important data on it?

Thought I'd lost it all, but recently I got a copy of SpinRite 6.0 by Gibson Research. Spinrite 6.0 is a new version of this data recovery tool that now supports NTFS, Linux, Novell etc.

I put the dead duck in a removable caddy, plugged it in and ran SpinRite 6.0's data recovery feature on it. Guess what? I GOT ALL THE DATA BACK!!

Needless to say I'm a very happy camper

Dr. Mordrid
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 4 September 2004, 01:03.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

thanks for the heads up, i used spinrite for years until I moved to ntfs.

Good to know they finially released a compatable version
    Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Ya that's great news about spinrite, Thanks Dr.

Comment

Got my spinrite 5.0 a while back, loved it.
        I was wondering when he would release an up to date version

edit: just a comment - It's amazing what the man can pack into a small exe file. (he codes only in assemly)
        Last edited by gt40; 4 September 2004, 08:03.
        Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Glad to hear you got your data back, Doc. Thanks for the heads up. We've used Spinrite for years, but less lately since NTFS and the huge hard drives. Spinrite 5 would take days on a 30 GB Partition and customers normally have zero for patience. I'll have to run and get an upgrade.
          Alcohol and Drugs make life tolerable.

Comment

Poke around on his site for an example of coding for windows in ASM.
            Realy cool, and not as wordy as you might think it would need to be.
            Chuck
            Chuck
            秋音的爸爸

Comment

Re: SpinRite 6.0

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
              Remember a while back I posted abouit a drive that was screweed up by Norton DiskDoctor ( ) with important data on it?

Thought I'd lost it all, but recently I got a copy of SpinRite 6.0 by Gibson Research. Spinrite 6.0 is a new version of this data recovery tool that now supports NTFS, Linux, Novell etc.

I put the dead duck in a removable caddy, plugged it in and ran SpinRite 6.0's data recovery feature on it. Guess what? I GOT ALL THE DATA BACK!!

Needless to say I'm a very happy camper

Dr. Mordrid
              About time they support NTFS. When Win XP came out I had asked them when they would release a new version for NTFS. They said "never" as it would require a rewrite (!). Suckers.

Spinrite 5.0 was a very good product, I can't believe they wouldn't include support for NTFS until 2004...anywayz...

Comment

Awesome!!

This is the one major tool that hasn't been usable for me in the past few years.

I guess I can try to resurrect the IBM Deathstar drives I have.

- Steve

Comment

It is a cool utility, I used to use it back in the MFM/RLL days
                  When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

MFM?? *makes a sign to ward off evil*

"I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

ST506, baby!

Yes, and who hasn't taken their old 10M MFM drive, attached it to an RLL controller, and gotten a whole EXTRA 5 MEG on it!!

WooHoo!!!!

Those were the days
                      - Steve

(actually, I had a 30M drive that I got up to 50M with an RLL controller)

Comment

Originally posted by spadnos
                        Yes, and who hasn't taken their old 10M MFM drive, attached it to an RLL controller, and gotten a whole EXTRA 5 MEG on it!!
                        Now you tell me?
                        chuck
                        Chuck
                        秋音的爸爸

Comment

cool - how does it work?
                          The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy
                            cool - how does it work?
                            How does what work?

Comment

10+5 MB?

Comment

Working...
                              X