PDA

View Full Version : MP3: what quality do you guys use ?

VJ
3rd September 2004, 08:15
What encoding settings do you guys use for your MP3?

I'm about to start encoding to MP3 for in-car use, and would value quality but still files that are not too big... The car MP3 player supports CBR and VBR, up to 320 kbps.
:)

Jörg

ZokesPro
3rd September 2004, 08:23
Haha, got the first vote!

128kbit, constant for me. no less than 128kbit though. But no more for my MP3 player in my car, it has problems with higher bitrate.

GuchiGuh
3rd September 2004, 08:30
128 absolute min
192 prefered. for recording to MD
constant bitrate. Variable goes a bit noisy in "buzy" bits in the music.

VJ/Zokes wat Deck you got for your car?

lecter
3rd September 2004, 09:05
constant 192 for me, a decent combination between quality and file size...

Wulfman
3rd September 2004, 09:14
flac, averages out at 700kb. ;)

oh, wait - mp3... mostly ~192kb average vbr.

mfg
wulfman

Nowhere
3rd September 2004, 09:18
I use Musepack, usually it's at ~230...but it's better at that bitrate than ANY mp3...
But of course, if I download something, high bitrate ogg or mp3@~200 is ok also :p

PS @ Guchi & lecter - based on what I know (mainly from hydrogenaudio...) vbr is always better than cbr...but of course I don't say that you're wrong - only that your clame isn't proven - BUT you can prove it - do ABX test :D
And Guchi...if you still want that gmail invintation pm me WITH YOUR CURRENT EMAIL :)

Wombat
3rd September 2004, 09:26
I use LAME with the -r3mix option. Depending on the song It's usually in the 160-220 range. But it knows when it can drop down to save file size, and when it needs to use 320.

KeiFront
3rd September 2004, 09:45
LAME VBR 192 kbps, I mostly use the --altpreset standard of lame.

Ribbit
3rd September 2004, 10:20
All my MP3 CDs are constant 160kbps - the reason being that was the bitrate where all my Smashing Pumpkins stuff (the most of any artist I was burning) would fit on one CD. If I were to make them again, I'd do them VBR. But I'm not doing any ripping/burning ATM, and I want to get an iRiver HD player sometime and redo it all as Vorbis.

RhinoZ
3rd September 2004, 12:26
I do variable 192 for some of my music, but mostly use the alt preset extreme setting . And I can still play it on my home stereo (and it sounds pretty good) along with my car stero. I usually get around 50 songs on a cd, and since I make car cds with a good mix of tunes, I can enjoy that cd for about a week before I NEED to change cd. I use EAC and razorlame to encode overnight.

Just a note a friend of mine encodes at lower bitrates and it still sounds good, but it's hard to find that one song you want to listen to on a cd with 200 songs on it.

VJ
3rd September 2004, 12:33
Guchi:
The headunit is a Blaupunkt DX-R52 (http://www.blaupunkt.nl/7612300211_main.asp) (1-DIN navigation), the MP3 player is the Blaupunkt CompactDrive MP3 (http://www.blaupunkt.nl/7607700025_main.asp) (virtual CD changer). Sorry about the Dutch links, I couldn't find them on English language sites...

I got tired of only being able of listening to the radio (navigation CD is present). And if I want TMC support (for traffic guidance), I have to tune in to a certain radio station (and they *don't* give good music). The MP3 player supports CBR and VBR, both up to 320 kbps, shows ID3 tags (V1, not V2). It behaves as a virtual changer: disc up/down control chooses the directory, track up/down chooses the track :cool: . I got a great deal at my dealers: I suspect they haven't sold many of these, but had some in stock they can't seem to sell. So I got for less than half the price... :D

Keifront:
Are there other parameters for Lame you would recommend ?
I was thinking about:
-V 0 -b 96 -B 192 -replaygain-accurate
(highest quality VBR, minimal rate 96, maximal rate 192, don't know what that last one does)
Encoding time is not important for me: my dual Xeon can encode 4 MP3 simultaneously.

Jörg

Greebe
3rd September 2004, 12:36
LAME variable, -b 192 -m j -h -V 1 -B 320

Helevitia
3rd September 2004, 13:40
I used to use 128 as my minimum but it truly sounds like crap, so now I use 256 as my minimum. OGG supports up to 512. I may start using that soon.

piaxVirus
3rd September 2004, 13:42
I use to use 256 - 320, but that was back when I had a lot less storage. I have been using flac for encoding for over a year now.

The PIT
3rd September 2004, 14:01
I'm using direct dvd. Oh i guess that doesn't count.

agallag
3rd September 2004, 14:10
I set lame to min 128, max 320, highest quality, joint stereo. Usually averages a little over 200. Works great for everything I've ripped.

The PIT
3rd September 2004, 14:13
Got too admit when I put 128 through my Hi Fi it sounded so shit it was unbelivable.
Sounded okay through my computer system.

Liquid Snake
3rd September 2004, 14:37
I use LAME --alt-preset standard. Average bitrate usually comes out between 170 and 200kbps. I only use MP3s when I'm listening on my PC and never on the hifi, so it's good enough.

Jammrock
3rd September 2004, 18:56
I've started to play with Monkey Audio a lot. It's a lossless compression, only about 50%, but it sounds like the CD is int he dirve. It's very nice. When I do use MP3, I use LAME to encode, PlexTools Pro to rip, and 192 kbps variable bitrate.

Ogg is pretty good, too.

Jammrock

Greebe
3rd September 2004, 21:27
Been messing with Monkey Audio and FLAC also, but have to put most fiddle farting around off til I get another HD, Filled this one up in short order (and my neighbor thought he had alot with 16gigs worth LOL ;)

Wombat
4th September 2004, 00:07
The 200GB Seagates are around $100 these days. I love mine.

VJ
4th September 2004, 02:12
Oh, pehaps I should mention: the MP3 player has 1 GB of storage, Blaupunkt advertises with '18 hours of music (at 128 kbps)'.

I have tried some with Lame at -V 0 -b 96 -B 320, and the filesize seems to average approx. 2 MB/minute.

Jörg

KeiFront
4th September 2004, 04:51
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=203 gives you an explanation of all the presets (the forum also has a lot of additional information). Just test the different settings and choose the one you like.

Maggi
6th September 2004, 02:12
LAME.EXE -k -m s -p --priority 2 -q 0 -V 0 --vbr-old --verbose

:)

PAugustin
6th September 2004, 02:37
I mostly use APE (Monkey Audio) and MPC. But if I have to use MP3, it is Lame preset extrem...

VJ
6th September 2004, 05:22
Originally posted by Maggi
LAME.EXE -k -m s -p --priority 2 -q 0 -V 0 --vbr-old --verbose

I read that the -q 0 setting is for experimental purpose (this has been
changed from previous versions, where this was the highest quality). Does
the priority do anything on XP ? (the help says this is for OS/2)
Also, isn't --vbr-old the default setting ?

I have now used
-V 0 -b 112 -B 320
and configure EAC to launch up to 4 encoders simultaneously. Encoding a CD
takes up about 2 minutes longer than the rippingproces (at 20x, using my
Toshiba SDM1612).
They average out at about 1.5 MB/min, resulting in approx 9 hours on 1 GB.

Jörg

Maggi
6th September 2004, 05:46
Hi Jörg,

to be honest, I lost track of all those little option changes that come more or less with each release ... ;)

-q 0 seems to result in the highest possible encoding quality (noise shaping, psycho acoustic models etc.)

--priority 2 does indeed work on WinXP and lets the compression task wait for CPU idle cycles

--vbr-old was default, but I just wanted to make sure it won't use the new VBR routines until I fully checked 'em out, ie. until 3.96 there were on par quality-wise, but the new VBR routine produced slightly bigger files

-k disables all filtering (high- and lowpass filters)

Just to remind you, I encode all those MP3 mainly for listening to them on my 5.1 digital AV receiver and thus I'd like to keep the sound as clean as possible.

VJ
6th September 2004, 06:24
Originally posted by Maggi
to be honest, I lost track of all those little option changes that come
more or less with each release ... ;)
-q 0 seems to result in the highest possible encoding quality (noise shaping, psycho acoustic models etc.)

Yes, I used it too until I read about the minor change. Since then, I use
-q 1 (will try to find a reference on it). q 0 does impact encoding speed
a lot.

--priority 2 does indeed work on WinXP and lets the compression task wait
for CPU idle cycles

Hmm, interesting... ;)

Just to remind you, I encode all those MP3 mainly for listening to
them on my 5.1 digital AV receiver and thus I'd like to keep the sound as
clean as possible.
Ha, ok (hence the -k option).
For in car use, some quality-aspects are less important (due to ambient
noise)...