DVMC-DA2 vs TRV120

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVMC-DA2 vs TRV120

For "live" analog captures over firewire something like Fast DV.now.AV, or Hollywood
    are PCI slot solutions.

But I'm out of PCI slots.

The Sony DVMC-DA2 seems a good choice and it can be had for ~$320. However TRV120 D8 camcorders are aparently being "closed out" and are avaiable for ~$470. For the extra $150 it seems stupid not to get a spare camcorder, espicially now that I've been able to use the rm95emul hack to enable the white balance hold feature on my TR7000.

I know the TRV320 has a VTR mode menu to disable DVin so the analog inputs get sent out the firewire without recording to tape. I can make my tr7000 do this but only while also recording to tape which introduces a time limit and is very cumbersome to do.

Can anybody with a Sony TRV120 NTSC verify that it'll capture Analog in "live" over firewire without recording to tape?

--wally.

Wally

I can't be 99.9% sure that the NTSC cam does pass-through, but I have widely discussed this on forums & no one has ever questioned it from the Big Apple
    http://www.sel.sony.com/SEL/consumer...r-trv120.shtml

The specs say 'Analog A/V inputs with Pass-Thru'

My PAL Sont TRV120e has this option afer DV in enabling with the AutoPC95 from www.lynxdv.com

I can not believe that an NTSC cam doesn't have this feature.

Let the NTSC crippled 120 camcorder owners speak or forever hold their tongue.

johnpr98

http://www.johnpr98.com

Comment

Thanks,

I went ahead and ordered after reviewing the comments and looking at the specs again.

If it doesn't work I'll let everyone know about it! :-)

--wally

Comment

Wally,

Your idea is pretty convincing, but where did you find the camera for $470? The cheapest source I found had it for $485.

Of course, a firewire card comes on top of that ... ;(

------------------
        Harald
        Harald

Comment

I did a web search using www.dogpile.com, www.pricewatch.com and www.pricescan.com. Sorry I don't remember the where the hit on the best price came from. Actually I think I saw a few marginally lower prices from places I didn't want to take a chance on. WWW.buydig.com is where I ordered it from.

Mostly I've heard good things about them but they are said to be very slow to ship. Their web site says "most orders shipped within 24-48 hours". This rules them out for anything I really need, but for a secondary device bang/buck rulz.

www.resellerratings.com is worth checking before you search -- you can knock off several "lowballers" that likely will be more trouble than a few bucks savings is worth, before you start.

Since I'm not in a hurry, I choose the cheapest shipping -- we'll see how it goes in 7-10 days. I have recieved an Email order confirmation which is a good sign, but it doesn't actually state any useful information.

Generic OHCI firewire cards can be had for less than $50 (with uselessly lame editing software) if you shop around. I recommend ones based on the TI firewire chip, as ones based on the NEC chip need third party drivers as the ones built into windows 2000 don't work well (unless DirectX 8 fixes it) and a noname supplier will not likely be good with updates (I've an Orange Micro NEC based ethernet/firewire combo card, it works great after I installed the drivers Orange Micro supplied).

But if you don't have editing software get the PyroDV for ~$90 which includes MSP6.0VE and works very well.

--wally.

[This message has been edited by wkulecz (edited 13 February 2001).]

Comment

Thanks Wally

I was using pricewatch.com, but your vendor did not show up. By the way, as good as these search engines are, in my experience they do not necessarily show an accurate picture. I.e., I have found better deals at sites that are not part of these engines. I wonder why some vendors, very reputable ones, are kept off these listings.

------------------
            Harald
            Harald

Comment

My own two cents,

I ordered an Optura a while back with buydig.com (WorldWide Direct). It was a great sales experience, without a hitch.

A friend of mine ordered a JVC camera from Abe's of Maine. It was shipped with missing parts (including a battery!) and they never got around to shipping replacement parts, going so far as to accuse her of lying about what she received. She shipped it back to them and had a great refund experience.

She ordered the exact same package for less from buydig.com, and had the same great sales experience I did. No pressure, friendly staff, great shipping, on time.

- Aryko

Comment

Abe's of Maine has a very low rating on www.resellerratings.com. I really don't know how they've stayed in business for so long. They were well known as a "low ball, bait and switch" house back in the 70's. For a while Popular Photography wouldn't take their ads because of all the complaints.

I'm hoping my buydig.com experience will be a good one!

--wally.

Comment

Followup.

www.buydig.com came thru wonderfully. Web order placed 12FEB FedEx delivered (cheapeast 7-10 "saver" $19.95 shipping option) on 19FEB. I'll not hesitate to order from them again.

On the fly analog to firewire without recording works great. Just disable device control in Vegas Video capture tool and start recording after setting the menu A/V->DVout to ON. AVI_IO seems to work too but it doesn't preview -- not really needed since the video plays on the camcorders LCD screen.

--wally.

Comment

Working...
                  X