Could space signal be alien contact?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could space signal be alien contact?

LONDON (Reuters) - An unexplained radio signal from deep space could -- just might be -- contact from an alien civilisation, New Scientist magazine has reported.

The signal, coming from a point between the Pisces and Aries constellations, has been picked up three times by a telescope in Puerto Rico.

New Scientist said on Thursday the signal could be generated by a previously unknown astronomical phenomenon or even be a by-product from the telescope itself.

But the mystery beam has excited astronomers across the world.

"If they can see it four, five or six times it really begins to get exciting," Jocelyn Bell Burnell of the University of Bath told the magazine.

It was broadcast on the main frequency at which the universe's most common element, hydrogen, absorbs and emits energy, and which astronomers say is the most likely means by which aliens would advertise their presence.

The potentially extraterrestrial signals were picked up through the SETI@home project, which uses programmes running as screensavers on millions of personal computers worldwide to sift through the huge amount of data picked up by the telescope.
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Oooh... Reminds me of the movie Contact...

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

brainstyle writes "According to Dan Wertheimer of SETI the whole ET signal excitement is more hype than science. I told myself it was in all likelihood nothing special, but I'm still disappointed. Darn."...
      Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

I actually have 2 seti@home work units that were flagged as candidates for additional review due to high scores for extraterrastrial signals.

Anyway that would be really cool if this turns out to be something.

Comment

Working...
        X