Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can anyone so bright be so f'ing stupid? Or, how could this happen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can anyone so bright be so f'ing stupid? Or, how could this happen?

I sold this guy a PC at Christmas. A very bright guy. Someone noted for being brilliant and in the public eye. I leave him setup with broadband, firewalled, with Sophos on auto-update, Adaware installed, and fully instructed on how to use both.

On Wednesday I get "Tony, I'm getting this virus warning, its too often for my liking its getting annoying'. Do a full scan I say. 31 viruses he says! Thirty f'ing one!!!

Bring it in I say. I start a scan, Sophos doesn't know where to begin!. I start Adaware, no wait, I can't cos its not there anymore.

So I d/l and install the latest. start the scan..."Your system will shut down in 60 seconds because a RPC failed"...can't stop it shutting down. After the reboot, start Adaware again, let it do 30 seconds of scanning (during which it finds a gazillion problems) and manage to delete those before the shut down and now I can do a full scan. 187 objects quarantined...

FT.

Obviously downloading muchos pr0n...
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Update: next scan finds another 270

@Paddy...looking at the browse history....you could be right! Probably all in the line of duty though
      FT.

Comment

ahh.. yes.... research
        The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Where have I heard that before...?

Bah. Most I've seen was my brothers laptop. Just over a smidgen on 1200. Got rid of them in one. Had five left which had to be manually deleted, but that laptop had no anti-virus, firewall, or ad-detection programs. And hasn't been checked in three years.

And he got his through his friends stupid long, chain emails...

J1NG

Comment

..."Your system will shut down in 60 seconds because a RPC failed"...can't stop it shutting down. After the reboot,
            start -> run -> shutdown -a
            According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Originally posted by Guru
              start -> run -> shutdown -a
              I was going to say that and also run it in safe mode as less of this junk will be running making it easier to clean up.

Then either install Win95 as this will be immune to the latest viri or give him a Mac.
              Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Too much pr0n cums with great responsibilities!!!
                Titanium is the new bling!
                (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Originally posted by The PIT
                  I was going to say that and also run it in safe mode as less of this junk will be running making it easier to clean up.

Then either install Win95 as this will be immune to the latest viri or give him a Mac.
                  LOL I don't want to confuse the poor man more than he already is!
                  FT.

Comment

Originally posted by ZokesPro
                    Too much pr0n cums with great responsibilities!!!

LOL
                    "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

I know this guy who found 18 active trojans on his computer after installing a scanner program
                      Matrox G4x0 32mb SG RAM DVI

Comment

Nothing beats the guy with over 9000 viri :P

Virus + antivirus + system restore = Rapid virus cloner
                        If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

9000 viri how the **** did it boot????
                          Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Slowly :P

Had fprot set to beep at every found virus, big mistake

He was using Win XP, but luckily he was also using FAT32 so I could clean away all virii from dos
                            If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Sounds like a job for Bart's PE Disc.

Fat Tone would be far happier using BartPE than the command prompt... it also works on NTFS partitions.
                              Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

Working...
                              X