Deleting spam from the mail server?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deleting spam from the mail server?

Anybody know how to achieve that while running NIS2004 and OE6 in XP SP2?

For months I have been affectively spam free, until about 2 weeks ago when some F--wit somehow got my email addy onto a list at Yahoo .............

Now I get on a regular basis spam from a whole range of Yahoo accounts with obscure origins like jhgdklhgaddgfffd@Yahoo.com.

Don't want to change my email and also don't care to change from OE or NIS2004 at this stage.

If all else fail, how do I delete from the server any email originating form a Yahoo server?
    Lawrence

If your mail server supports IMAP, use that to delete the offending mail, then switch to POP3 for downloading. You can probably set up separate Outlook accounts for that.

I'm sure others will have much better suggestions though...
    Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

E-mail message rules. if...then "delete from server".

Go to "tools", "Message Rules", "Mail" ans create a new rule.

Set the condition in the first box and the action in the second (here the action is "delete it from server").

Make new rules until you don't get spam anymore (good luck! ).

Comment

Ribbit - yeah, thats all fine and dandy but I want to automate the process.

Kurt - "OE rules" are not flexible enough - as soon as you create a rule to cater for one of twits, he changes his email and starts sending crap again - ie - one is not allowed to create a rule that says

"If the mail comes from any Yahoo account, delete it from the server."

NIS2004 identifies the crap correctly, but still download it and then dump it in a OE folder called "Norton Antispam folder" for me to check and delete
        Lawrence

Comment

Don't do it for e-mail addresses. Use the "message subject" or "message body contains..." rules.

I'm using outlook which is more flexible, but I only have sth like 20 rules (for 11 accounts) and the junk senders filter (about empty now since I've reinstalled).

I rarely if ever get spam in the wrong folder. I could choose to delete everything from the server too to save bandwith but I like to check anyway...

Comment

Cheers for the thoughts .

Problem solved however:

Norton Antispam creates a complex antispam rule automatically in OE using what looks like a table somewhere (dont know whats in it though) - been buggering around trying to create my own pathetic ones iso just editing and changing Norton rule to simply delete the garbage off the server.

Changed it to do exactly that and bingo.

Sorry for wasting time by not thinking
            Last edited by LvR; 31 August 2004, 12:50.
            Lawrence

Comment

Just a comment:
              Norton Antispam notorious tried to blacklist my own Yahoo e-mail when I sent test e-mails from my-Yahoo to my standard POP3 address. I was unable to “teach” NA that my Yahoo address is a friend.
              I am very satisfied with MailWasher 4.0. It deletes the spam from the server.

Fred
              It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings...
              ------------------------------------------------

Comment

Did you tried IncrediMail?

It has nice junk filter and also you can list messages on server before downloading it. You can make rules or delete or bounce messages from server etc

Comment

MailWasher does also bounce spam, but I disabled this function, because:
                  -it overloads the server. In fact I don’t care about the overload, but it slows down the e-mail reading process.
                  -it doesn’t help to bounce, the spammer is smarter and knows that the e-mail exists,
                  -at least 50% of the spammers have hidden or non existing e-mail,
                  -some antivirus program (I run NOD32) attaches a short text that the e-mail was checked by NOD32. It proves that your e-mail exists anyway, and the spammer Loughs Of His Heck.
                  Maybe I’ll test IncrediMail.

[Edited] I made a test with NOD32 on. I was wrong. The bounced e-mail doesn't ad the virus checkers message, so this part is ok.

Fred
                  Last edited by Fred H; 1 September 2004, 09:29.

Comment

Originally posted by adis
                    Did you tried IncrediMail?

It has nice junk filter and also you can list messages on server before downloading it. You can make rules or delete or bounce messages from server etc
                    There's just one problem: it's a spyware/adware program...

Comment

There's just one problem: it's a spyware/adware program...
                      ...and some of the ver. (Torrent ) notoriously changes the Start page in the I.Explorer to a non existing URL.

Fred

Comment

I'm incredibly happy with my ISP that for 1.25 €/month add a Spam filter and an Antivirus to the mailbox
                        Sat on a pile of deads, I enjoy my oysters.

Comment

Working...
                        X