Memory card speeds?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memory card speeds?

How important are memory card speeds? I'm looking to buy another secure digital card for my 4 MP camera. There are cheap deals out there, but the write speeds on the cards aren't that fast. What should I take into account when deciding which brand to buy?
    Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
    Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Write speeds do make a difference depending on what your camera is capable of. Some cameras can't fill up the bandwidth on the slow cards, but higher end cameras are even limited by the fastest cards.

If you can find the Kingmax 60X cards, they're particularly cheap right now. Even up here in Canada you can get the 1GB version for $209. That's around $160US.
    Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

agree with agallag :

got my kingmax 60x 256MB SD (10MBps) at canadacomputers It was like 60 bucks us

Comment

How can you tell if the card is too slow?
        Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

If you didn't notice, it probably isn't too slow for you

What kind of camera do you have? Only rarely do cams with SD interfaces need fast cards, and even then only under special circumstances or for special features (extr hi-res movie modes, kyocera's amazing rtune serial mode, shooting bursts or bracketing with not much time to wait... all provided your camera's SD interface is even fast enough to make use of high speed cards, which many interfaces aren't - they don't need to be).

Well, I stand by my first sentence, but if you absolutely must, Sandisk Ultra II are very fast cards (the Sandisk Ultra I are slow, and the old Sandisk non-ultras are sloooow).

AZ
          There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Okay thanks guys. I just was confused by all the different speed stuff. I'd rather save some money if my camera most likely doesn't get affected by the memory speed.

Comment

Working...
            X