SonyConnect ranting and raving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SonyConnect ranting and raving

My wife found a nifty little deal where I got 60 song download credits from SonyConnect (Sony's version of iTunes) for test driving a Lexus IS300. Like I needed an excuse to test drive of a Lexus ...

[rant]

I did the drive, got my credits, signed up for SonyConnect, got the software, entered my coupon code, got into the music store and ... couldn't find anything worth downloading.

After about a month of not finding anything I really wanted to download, I broke down and decided to get a few tracks. I pulled techno tracks (Rob Dougan) and 4 classical music tracks (Grieg, Orff and someone I didn't know) just to try this whole "legally downloaded music" thing.

Bought the tracks for 6 credits, downloaded them and....

They didn't show up in the music library. Found them on the local system and manually added them to the playlist. Now they're there! Hit play...

"Would you like to connect to the Internet to download the license for the content"

uh ... I thought that's what I did when I downloaded the songs but ... click OK.

"There is invalid rights management information in the OpenMG content"

huh? Something's scrwed up. Delete the tracks from my computer, manually I might add because even though I told the player to do it, it didn't do it. Force the player to rebuild the DMR db, go to my account profile, redownload the tracks from the "Purchased and Downloaded Music" option ... which one can only assume that I should have rights to listen to music that I have purchased ... redownload the tracks.

Now they are finally in my music library in SonicStage player (player for SonyConnect). "Right," I say, "let's hear how well these things sound!" Click play...

"Would you like to connect to the Internet to download the license for the content"

damn it... OK

"There is invalid rights management information in the OpenMG content"

Stoopid P0S!

So I go digging through SonyConnects help FAQ, hoping to find the exact error I'm getting. Of course the exact error is not listed. Heaven forbid they write anything that even remotely technical, because the common human being is incapable of entering in an error code into the search function of help FAQ or knowledge base.

I finally find, after much digging, something that looks remotely helpful, under "Cannot Play Music, Login or Preview music" (which of course had no mention of specific errors I'm getting). I go through this nifty hidden link in the software to pull up my Terminal ID (I feel like I'm back in the 80's all of a sudden). Terminal ID comes up, "Cool I think, I should be good to go!"

"Bad news," says the FAQ! "You have to call SonyConnect support. You've been a bad boy, haven't you?"

wtf! They were at least kind enough to put the phone number into the FAQ. I pick up the phone and begin to dial when I see something ... only open from 12:00-18:00 EST, which means the support doesn't even open up for anohter 2.5 hours!!!

So now I get to sit and wait for another hour still before I call up Sony and no doubt get sent around the never-ending automated phone system, transfered 20 times and disconnected 6 times before finally talking to someone who has no idea how to fix my problem. I could be pleasantly surprised, but I doubt it. This whole expereince has been a giant pain in my ass.

SonyConnect sucks! Stay away from it at all costs!

[/rant]

Jammrock
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

I agree on this one !

I had a couple of download from McDo coupons.

I managed to download the song and listen to them.

But I haérd such a hard time finding anything in there !!! You actually need to know what you want to download as everything seems to rely on the search engin...

And anyway I won't use any download service as I don't want to pay to get compressed music tracks that are of limited use !
    System : ASUS A8N SLI premium, Athlon 64X2 3800+, 2Gb, T7K500 320Gb SATAII, T7K250 250Gb SATAII, T7K250 250Gb ATA133, Nec ND-3520, Plextor PX130A, SB Audigy 2, Sapphire Radeon X800 GTO, 24" Dell 2407WFP.

Comment

haha, that is so stupid. Just like the idea of Memory Stick... lol...

They do haev some good stuff though, like those PDA sized computers, PDA, PS2, and of course, their awesome designs...

but hey, test driving an IS300 was worth it isn't it?

Comment

Heh, thats why I hate anything to do with Digital Rights Management and the 'pay for download' systems. If you have to reinstall your OS or change to a new hard drive you're screwed too.

Comment

Working...
        X