• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Latest UK ADSL deals

Plusnet offers 1Mbit access at £15 a month
    Latest Wanadoo offer uncut by £3 - but look at the small print
    Clive Akass, Personal Computer World 25 Aug 2004

Service provider Plusnet is offering 1Mbit broadband access for just £14.99 a month - undercutting by £3 the 'cheapest-yet' deal announced yesterday by Wanadoo. However the comparison is rather more complex if you look at the small print.

Wanadoo users will be capped at 2GB a month, and will be reduced to an email-only service if they exceed this limit, unless they choose to sign up to one of two other 1Mbit deals: £22.99 per month with a 6GB cap or £27.99 a month with a 30GB cap.

Plusnet users get just 1GB a month for their £14.99, but the company says this is not a 'cap' as itis a pay-as-you-go service, with each extra 1GB costing £1.75.

Oddly, it is also charging a basic rate of £14.99 per month for a similar 512K service, with each extra 1GB costing £1.50. Marketing co-coordinator Peter Jackson said he expected this option would be taken up only by people outside 1Mbit range - typically beyond 6Km of an exchange.

Plusnet is also offering a 2Mbit pay-as-you-go service for £19.99 a month, with 2GB 'free' and £2 per extra GB.

Alternatively, Plusnet offers unlimited use deals at £21.99 for 512K, £29.99 for 1Mbit and £39.99 for 2Mbit.
    FT.

yup, the adsl marketplace is becoming very interesting.
    I can see some of the smaller players going to the wall.

Comment

Actually just signed up with freedom2surf meself. Looked at the Plusnet ones but clearly I don't want to be on a capped service Also wanted static IP. Unfortunately (or not, I hear they are having problems) Bulldog4 services are not available at my exchange. My exchange is Vauxhall and has not been LLU'd. Hmmm wonder why that could be - what else is at Vauxhall?

Re the above services - clearly with any capped service the ISP wants you to bust your limit so you pay more. And you do that quicker with a faster connection. Says the cynic in me.

Anyway, off home from work now, and no connection at home yet, so have a nice weekend folks!
      DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

I'm seriously tempted to move away from NTL...

1) they want £38/month for 1.5Mbps (recently upgraded from 1Mbps

2) their so called 'interactive' service is pants

3) they don't sell sky+ (uk satellite version of TIVO)

4) the cable tv box crashes at regular intervals

5) I'm sure I can save money and get a faster connection all at the same time.
        FT.

Comment

I agree a capped service isn't for those who d/l DVD rips 5-at-a-time, but for fast browsing and normal 'working at home' the vast majority of users would do quite well. Certainly it's more attractive than NTL is atm.

For an extra £3/month, with Wannado I'd get 30GB at 1Mbps rather than .75Mbps. I don't think I've ever gone anywhere need that amount.

One thing that is annoying is that they don't make it clear what the upload speed is. I'm sure it'll be better that the 128 I have now though
          FT.

Comment

pretty much all the ADSL possibilities are 256 on the upstream side.
            DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Uh? Why are you on Vauxhall? I'm on Nine Elms, and I'm closer to Vauxhall than you are...

:: Edit:: I suppose I'm closer to Nine Elms too...

J1NG

Comment

yup, as GNEP says your upload speed will be 256kbps!

Comment

Plusnet the IP is static which I find rather annoying as I ain't hosting anything and would rather be dynamic.
                  Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                  Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

I like Zen. They are not the cheapest by any means, but their service has been flawless for 2years now.
                    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Working...
                    X