Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't install SP2 if you have an AM64 system

Glad I didn't install it yet.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Uh? Don't anything remotely happening like that. On both Opteron setups.

J1NG

Comment

Hmm,

I wonder why this doesn't affect their software emulated DEP that gets enabled on non-DEP cpus.

Do you have a Hollywood Magic DVD decoder? Popular in the day but I haven't sold any for a long time.

I suppose you could always disable DEP in the boot.ini.
      P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

So it only causes issues with that DVD program?

What's DEP all about?

Comment

Data Execution Prevention (DEP), also known as No Execute or NX, it prevents the execution of code in memory regions marked as data storage you can find more about it at the microsoft website.
          Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
          Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
          Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

Just turn it off like I had to do. Can't see a problem.
            Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
            Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

the question i have is why would anyone have a hollywood DVD decoder in an Athlon64 system...

i mean, shit, you might as well toss your Voodoo2 back in as well...

anyways, I have yet to see a problem with DEP on my Athlon64...
              "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

I heard about this too on another board. Wonder what their motives are/were.
                What I Did For Love
                Cerritos College Cal Poly Pomona San Luis Obispo Kwak KCCC

Comment

Originally posted by Helevitia
                  Don't install SP2 if you have an AM64 system
                  Or don't use AMD processors

Comment

Originally posted by DGhost
                    the question i have is why would anyone have a hollywood DVD decoder in an Athlon64 system...
                    A roommate of mine had one of those cards. He held on to it for quite a while because of the remote control.
                    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I don't know why all the fuss...one problematic card over a zillion...heck ppl still buy VIA-based boards after all...and nobody complains...

Comment

Originally posted by adis
                        Or don't use AMD processors
                        Why use something hoter, and slower (P4)? And that doesn't suport NX-bit? (All Intel processors except Itanium)

Ok... Don't quite get the problem here, why just not put the DVD software in the list off applications that doesn't use DEP?

If this is a hardware DVD decoder... I think Athlon64 can do this much faster. I play DVD's with PowerDVD XP and my processor runs at 800Mhz (with Cool 'n Quiet)

Comment

I have SP2 installed and no big problems.
                          ONLY AMD CPUs support hardware execution prevention, so it's no wonder that only they are experiencing problems that occur from using this with non-compatible (read: badly written) software.

And in any case, you can still turn off the more safe hardware execution prevention and still use the same software solution as on Intels CPUs.
                          You can even turn the hardware solution off for specific applications and still kepp it for everything else. I did have to disable this feature for Mozilla Firefox and have it turned on for everything else and didn't encounter any problems whatsoever.
                          But we named the *dog* Indiana...
                          My System
                          2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
                          German ATI-forum

Comment

Originally posted by Indiana
                            I have SP2 installed and no big problems.
                            ONLY AMD CPUs support hardware execution prevention, so it's no wonder that only they are experiencing problems that occur from using this with non-compatible (read: badly written) software.
                            I wouldn't call it badly written. You can't futureproof against everything. And maybe the code ran faster the way it was written.
                            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Well, but still I think any decent written software should NEVER try to execute code that's explicitely marked as storage data...
                              This would make a BIG security-hole, or?
                              But we named the *dog* Indiana...
                              My System
                              2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
                              German ATI-forum

Comment

Working...
                              X