Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GeForce FX and Half-Life 2: DirectX 8 only?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GeForce FX and Half-Life 2: DirectX 8 only?

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/...fx/default.asp

As we mentioned in our video stress test article, GeForce FX 5900 series cards are auto detected to run in DX8.1 mode, or at least that’s what the video – advanced menu in CS: Source beta says:
    First the article on sudhian.com about doom/nvidia and hl2/valve and now this. What comes next, Windows only running with Intel processors ....

Rakido
    "Women don't want to hear a man's opinion, they just want to hear their opinion in a deeper voice."

I say, blame yourself if you got an FX. It was quite evident from the start that the pixel shaders sucked hard.

Comment

What did you expect? Doom 3 runs optimized on nVidia cards, so ATi couldn't let nVidia be dominate with Half-life 2 now could could they!

It's all just a game...

Speaking of HL2, the pre-loader is up on Steam now. That basically means certain people can jump the gun and grab parts of HL2 before the official gold release, thus when the game does go gold, they have less to download.

Jammrock
      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Does anyone know what the deal is with HL2 when you get it off steam? Do you have to burn it to CD's or will it run straight from your HDD? I would like the CD option to free up some space
        Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

If you think back, this is nothing new. I remember all sorts of things that were only on 3Dfx hardware. Diablo 2 was said to be 3Dfx only, until the public complained so much, they added D3D.

Same fight, different vendors.
          "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

Originally posted by GT98
            Does anyone know what the deal is with HL2 when you get it off steam? Do you have to burn it to CD's or will it run straight from your HDD? I would like the CD option to free up some space
            the word is(read: rumour) that you can download the game ahead of time, by the game instore, just input your cd key and tada! you are playing...best of both worlds imo.

Dave
            Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Working...
            X