Custom machine parts online!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom machine parts online!

The possibilitys for the hobbyist sound mind boggling to me.
    What a great idea.

Chuck
    Chuck
    秋音的爸爸

Now you wonder why nobody had thought of this before!

Comment

People have thought of the industrial part of it before, just not putting it on the Internet. There are tons of places where you can bring in designs for custom parts and get them made for you.

I guess computers as a whole are powerful enough to do basic CAD.
      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

They have been discussed here before.

Unfortunately, they're pretty expensive, and it seems like you have to use their CAD software to get anything done. (I don't think you can just upload an IGES or STL file and get a quote - their software has quoting built in.) Their software isn't that good, though it does support limited import of DXF files. It crashes from time to time as well.

Of course, I just ran the program to see what formats it will import, and it had to re-download itself for updated pricing. Good thing I Have DSL or this reply would be coming tomorrow.

Their material selection is weird (millimeter thicknesses only, so if you want 1/2 inch thickness, you need to mill an entire face, which increases the cost).

I designed a fairly simple motor mount for a milling machine I'm converting to CNC, made of 1.979 x 9 x 12 inches aluminum. It has some large pockets to be milled out, and 10 holes. No finishing (plating, lapping, deburring, etc), widest tolerances they have, etc, and the price came out to $253.33 for 26-day delivery, or as high as $375.93 for 14-day delivery. (I know it's a fairly large hunk of metal, but the stock itself is roughly $20, so that's not a big problem.)

Life at internet speed...

- Steve

Comment

Yeah, I found out about it just a little too late for Dave:

How's the project going Dave?
          FT.

Comment

send me any design in any format, and I'll give you a quote
            Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Originally posted by gt40
              send me any design in any format, and I'll give you a quote
              Cool - then I can finish my CNC and compete with you

- Steve

Comment

My brother is an apprentice machinist, specializing in CNC, so if you need a third quote...
                Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Originally posted by spadnos
                  Cool - then I can finish my CNC and compete with you

- Steve
                  Bring it on!
                  Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Working...
                  X