Backing Up Accounting Files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backing Up Accounting Files

Looking for an affordable method of backing up Quicken files. Any recomendations?

DJ

How many files? How big? How often?
    Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Ten 5 meg files daily.

DJ

Comment

CD Burner would do the trick. That's probably the cheapest way to do it.
        Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Backup MyPc

will do unattended backups to CD / DVD or to network drive.
          Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

I have considered the CD option, however its not for me and the persons that would use it are not that computer savvy. I was going to use InCD and use the backup system in quicken to accomplish this. The problem is that I have had many InCD CDs becoming corrupted after several writes, especially when using them on different computers. Is this a common problem?

BTW the person in charge would not like to have multiple files being generated but additional data appended to the backed up file. Does backup MyPc do this with CD's?

DJ

Comment

Originally posted by DJ
              I have considered the CD option, however its not for me and the persons that would use it are not that computer savvy. I was going to use InCD and use the backup system in quicken to accomplish this. The problem is that I have had many InCD CDs becoming corrupted after several writes, especially when using them on different computers. Is this a common problem?

BTW the person in charge would not like to have multiple files being generated but additional data appended to the backed up file. Does backup MyPc do this with CD's?

DJ
              I don't think you'll get incremental backups like you want. Even "real" backup software just copies the entire contents of any changed file. Since Quicken will be changing the same data file, it will all get backed up every time (with the exception of things like system configuration and company information files).

You'd have to use something like (the UNIX program) diff, and save the differences, but then restore would be a nightmare.

- Steve

Comment

Are the computers networked? How about just backing up between the machines? ie. Computer1 backs up to Computer2, Computer2 backs up to Computer1, etc. It's pretty easy to schedule the copies, you just need to setup a shared folder on each machine to store the backup files.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I suggested the network option already and he agreed in principle but wants something still separate from the computer in the event there is a problem. Thanks again.

DJ

Comment

Working...
                  X