LCD colour depth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LCD colour depth

can Modern LCD's actually fully produce anything above 16bit colour depth? i seem to remember reading ages ago they could not but wondered if things had changed at all
    cheers
    will
    is a flower best picked in it's prime or greater withered away by time?
    Talk about a dream, try to make it real.

Re: LCD colour depth

Originally posted by borat
    can Modern LCD's actually fully produce anything above 16bit colour depth? i seem to remember reading ages ago they could not but wondered if things had changed at all
    cheers
    will
    At least some can:

http://www.viewsoniceurope.com/dk/Pr...ics/VG700b.htm

Look under the specifications (a bit down on the page): TFT active matrix SXGA LCD (16.7 mio colours).
    Laptops: ASUS G750JM: Intel Core i7 4700HQ, 8GB RAM (DDR3-1600), Nvidia GTX 860M, 1 x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD, 1 x WD 750 GB HDD, 17,3" FHD Screen, Windows 8.1 64-bit.
    ASUS Vivobook S400CA: Intel Core i5 3317U (1,7-2,6 GHz), 8 GB RAM (DDR3-1600), Intel HD4000, 1 x 500GB HDD, 14" touch-screen (1366x768), Windows 8.1 64-bit.

Comment

only the higher end models can, most a far less and even then are interpolated (correct term?... tired) from a much lower color depth, typically 6-8 bit if memory serves me correct
      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

On another note... With DVI, what is the maximum number of colours that can be sent? 16.7million?

Comment

Would you like the DVI 1.0 spec pdf... will up it to my ftp

or you can grab it yourself from www.ddwg.org after registering
          "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

Comment

The main reason why manufactures go with 6-/8-bit is because it's cheaper and they get better response rates. All the sub-20 ms refresh LCDs are 6-bit color depth. So if you're looking for a dual gaming/graphics/CAD style LCD, you're screwed.

The recommendation is to get the LCD that fits the bill best, i.e. whether graphics and color are more important than refresh rate for gaming and video.

Jammrock
            “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
            –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Yeah a lot of the 15" and some 17" LCDs use an interface from their A/D electronic board to the panel called '6bit +2FRS', or actually use native 6 bit glass. With 6bit you get 262K colors. The "FRS" method is basically an interpolation done on the scalar chip so they can use a cheaper dvi receiver and cheaper scalar. You won't get 16.7mil colors with that obviously, but its better than the 262K.

Now, even though the better LCDs (from 19" up) claim 16.7million colors due to 8bit/color, you're not realistically going to get that because of technological limitations of the actual LCD crystals and structure of the panel. Instead of 24 bits, its closer to 21 bits of actual visible color data if measured. Thats where CRTs are still superior to LCDs... accurate color reproduction.

Comment

well i just had the weirdest thing happen, i currently have a dell 20" LCD connected via DVI to a radeon 7000 PCI, i had the colour depth set to 32 bit. When i tried to scroll in any application it cursor would low down to a crawl and it would scroll pitifully slowly when veiwing things like these forums, now i have the colour depth set to 16 bit and everything is fine. Found it quite bizarre as it never happens when the screen is hooked onto my parhelia.

Comment

borat, I think Radeon7000 might run in memory limitations at 16x12@32-bit.

Comment

not really up to speed with memory limitations and Resolutions, what do you mean by this?

Comment

Originally posted by UtwigMU
                      borat, I think Radeon7000 might run in memory limitations at 16x12@32-bit.
                      I don't.

Comment

This is why I'm thinking off buying another CRT for my Photos. The differance between the print outs and whats is displayed is quite marked with my Dell.

Didn't have that problem with the CRT.

Yes I'm am using the correct icc for both devices.

I then think about ATI's drivers getting mixed up over which driver too use when you have two very different monitors.
                        Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Borat, you're pushing too much data over the PCI bus and saturating the available bandwidth at that resolution and color depth... hence the apparent slowdown.

Comment

Problem solved.... Well not quite yet..

Comment

Originally posted by rylan
                              Borat, you're pushing too much data over the PCI bus and saturating the available bandwidth at that resolution and color depth... hence the apparent slowdown.
                              I doubt that's what is happening. Maybe a bus-mastering issue, or badly installed drivers, or something.
                              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Working...
                              X