Remote rename?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remote rename?

Does anyone know of a way to remotely rename Windows (XP & 2000) machines?
    (Other than by using a remote-control program.)
    --Insert something here--

I thought someone on MURC always had the answer to everything. If I find out, I'll post it here.

Comment

Other than using a remote control program? I am not sure what you mean...

*pulls out crystal ball*
      "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

Microsoft support is here to help you with Microsoft products. Find how-to articles, videos, and training for Microsoft Copilot, Microsoft 365, Windows, Surface, and more.

This is for domain member computers. Not sure if it works for stand-alone boxes.
        Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

You can use the all powerful AT command! Open the run command (Start -> Run) and enter in:

c:\windows\help\ntcmds.chm

(or winnt, depending on OS and install)

Double-click Command-line Reference and then Command-line Reference A-Z. Click on the AT link on the right and read away.

The AT command is every joksters ... I mean admins friend.

Windows XP

The next thing you need to do is have the person on the other end install the Windows XP Support Tools from the Support\Tools folder on the Windows XP Professional CD-ROM. That way you can now use the NETDOM command:

Microsoft support is here to help you with Microsoft products. Find how-to articles, videos, and training for Microsoft Copilot, Microsoft 365, Windows, Surface, and more.

And you're set. In theory.

Jammrock
          Last edited by Jammrock; 25 August 2004, 19:35.
          “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
          –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

The AT command is for scheduling tasks. How do you go about changing the computer name with it?
            Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

modified org post...

Still looking for the Windows 2000 alternative. If I were at work I could look it up. the hostname command used to let you change it.

Jammrock
              “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
              –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by Byock
                Other than using a remote control program? I am not sure what you mean...

*pulls out crystal ball*
                Allright, here's the situation (Que music)...
                We are getting ready to roll out Active Directory in December. (i know, we are way ahead of the game where I work...) But before that happens, we need to rename over 1,000 nodes on the domain to meet the new naming convention guidelines (handed down from someone who sits behind a desk all day thinking this stuff up.) Sicne we don't have much of an IT staff, and there are several locations spread out over a hundred square miles, it would be really helpful if we could just do all this remotely by some means less intrusive to the user than taking control of their machine...

I was thinking if there was some sort of regedit, or a remote managment tool, we could make the changes, then shoot out an email to have the users reboot their machines sometime before christmas...
                We tried NewSID, but it really sucks to do remotely.

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock
                  You can use the all powerful AT command! Open the run command (Start -> Run) and enter in:

c:\windows\help\ntcmds.chm

(or winnt, depending on OS and install)

Double-click Command-line Reference and then Command-line Reference A-Z. Click on the AT link on the right and read away.

The AT command is every joksters ... I mean admins friend.

Windows XP

The next thing you need to do is have the person on the other end install the Windows XP Support Tools from the Support\Tools folder on the Windows XP Professional CD-ROM. That way you can now use the NETDOM command:

And you're set. In theory.

Jammrock
                  I'll have to check this out.. Thanks Jammrock

Comment

P.S. All of our workstations are Windows XP, or 2000... The printers were cake with JetAdmin.

Comment

If anyone hasn't had experiance using Dameware, check it out. Really sweet domain managment and remote tools.

Comment

Originally posted by agallag
                        http://support.microsoft.com/default...298593&sd=tech

This is for domain member computers. Not sure if it works for stand-alone boxes.
                        I'll have to give this a try. Thanks Agallag

Comment

Working...
                        X