Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why has the price of AMD XP 2500+ "Barton" retail gone up??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why has the price of AMD XP 2500+ "Barton" retail gone up??

I was looking at newegg, and noticed that the AMD XP 2500+ retail now sells for $90. I swear it was being sold at $80 months ago. Was I imagining things? Or has the price gone up? If so, why? Aren't the prices supposed to go down???
    RC Agent
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Brisbane 2.6GHz, MSI 785GT-E63, 6 GB(2x1GB, 2x2GG) DDR2 800 Corsair XMS2, Asus EAH4850 TOP
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 7750 Kuma 2.7GHz, ASRock A790GXH/128M BIOS 1.7, 4 GB(2x2GB) DDR2 800 Corsair XMS2, Gigabyte HD 6850 1GB DDR5
    AMD Phenom II X6 1045T 2.7GHz, Asus M5A99FX Pro R2.0 BIOS 2501 , 8GB(2x4GB) DDR3 1866 CL9 Crucial BallisticX(BLT4G3D1869DT1TX0) , Sapphire HD7870 2GB GDDR5 OC, Seasonic 850w powers supply

I think most people who buy such processor is planning to overclock the snot out of it, so demand has stayed high, hence the price has stayed high
    We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

One of my sales reps recently told me that the Athlon XP cpus have gone up in price lately. I guess it's just a supply/demand thing like tjalfe said.
      P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

Due to the Sempron coming out, Athlon XP chips are bring phased out. This is the only reason I can think of.

No worries, get yourself the mobile version of the 2500+ for the overlcocking.

Comment

A lot of pc hardware has been going up lately. Demand is high and inventory is low. AMD did a price cut on their 939 CPU's and now they can't keep them in supply I am hearing. This pushed the prices back up to pre-cut prices.

Even the new cell phones are having a hard time coming to market due to shortage of components.

Dave
          Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

The Sempron has moved to the old XP prices. XP have moved up in the range and so has it's price - AMD will probably continue to produce it until there's no more demand for it.

The XP is now officially dead for me. The low-end Sempron is a lot more interesting, especially the 3100+.

I might move to an A64 on SIS 755 (cheap, now - probably with a Sempron 3100+ 754) or NV CK08-4 (waiting for SATA300 and PCI-X).

Comment

Helevitia: also some of AMD's supply problems were because of massive inventory chaos.

The Socket A Sempron is just Athlon XP Thoroughbreds set to run on 166MHz FSB. They'd be a good buy if not for two things -- AMD has given them performance rating levels which are based on... very questionable benchmarks, and they're being charged for according. This is not a popular move with people in the know.

Kurt: don't buy a Socket 754 Sempron; the AMD 64 2800+ doesn't have its 64-bit disabled and is the same price.
              Matrox G4x0 32mb SG RAM DVI

Comment

@G400SG16mb: I agre with you for the Semprons up to 2800+. The 3100+ is quite another ballgame. There was a recent benchmark (sorry can't remember where I saw it) that showed it to be basically on par with the A64 2800+.

The S754 Sempron is an A64 that's been a bit "hammered" (check Techreport ).

The socket A Sempron is your run-of-the-mill Athlon XP, but rebadged.

I think the Sempron 3100+ coupled with an SIS755 chipset (ASRock make cheap boards) is a definite bargain...

Comment

Working...
                X