• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fast!!!!

SHITE....that was a FAST 100m final in the Olympics:

9.85 sec. w/only .02 sec. separating the 3 medalists

Sports Illustrated story....

If these kids get any faster they're going to have to put asbestos in the soles of their shoes

Dr. Mordrid
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Nice chauvinistic headline: "Gatlin, Greene take gold, bronze in 100m sprint". They seem to forget someone else took the silver, but that doesn't matter, does it?

In nearly every country, both the TV commentators and the press are interested in only how "their boys and gals" perform and not about the greater efforts put in by other nations. This is not sport, it is pure nationalism. In some reports I've read/seen, it is not unusual that X (from their country) came in fifth, with a long screed on everything up to whether X's grandmother has dandruff, and you have to read well down the column to find out the names and nationalities of the first three, one of whom broke a world, national and Olympic record. It's almost as if the newspaper itself did the running

Down with chauvinism in games!!!

Edit: BTW, wouldn't asbestos in shoes be considered as performance enhancing?
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

I happen to agree. Wouldn't really call it nationalism, though..

Comment

Would breaking wind count as cheating as it may speed the athlete towards the finnishing line????
        Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Bah, that averages only 22.7100131 miles per hour, lazy bums!

(Google's handy when you don't have a calculator next to you to do unit conversions: 100 meters per 9.85 seconds in miles per hour)

Comment

Originally posted by The PIT
            Would breaking wind count as cheating as it may speed the athlete towards the finnishing line????
            Finnish athletes are slow.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon P. Inghram
              Bah, that averages only 22.7100131 miles per hour, lazy bums!

(Google's handy when you don't have a calculator next to you to do unit conversions: 100 meters per 9.85 seconds in miles per hour)
              Wow, I didn't know it could do two at once!

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Ellis
                Nice chauvinistic headline: "Gatlin, Greene take gold, bronze in 100m sprint". They seem to forget someone else took the silver, but that doesn't matter, does it?

In nearly every country, both the TV commentators and the press are interested in only how "their boys and gals" perform and not about the greater efforts put in by other nations. This is not sport, it is pure nationalism. In some reports I've read/seen, it is not unusual that X (from their country) came in fifth, with a long screed on everything up to whether X's grandmother has dandruff, and you have to read well down the column to find out the names and nationalities of the first three, one of whom broke a world, national and Olympic record. It's almost as if the newspaper itself did the running

Down with chauvinism in games!!!
                If anybody else had posted this, I would have known it was a joke. Unfortunately, I'm afraid you're not joking.

Wow, an American paper that primarily reports about American athletes. Damn straight. I suppose next you'll be pissed off that the NY Post primarily writes about the Rangers and Islanders, and doesn't give equal time to the rest of the NHL.
                Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
                  If anybody else had posted this, I would have known it was a joke. Unfortunately, I'm afraid you're not joking.

Wow, an American paper that primarily reports about American athletes. Damn straight. I suppose next you'll be pissed off that the NY Post primarily writes about the Rangers and Islanders, and doesn't give equal time to the rest of the NHL.
                  It's a little more skewed than that. I remember in the '96 olympics, they were broadcasting the mens beach volleyball quarterfinals (or possibly even further from any medal event), while the biggest upset, probably in the history of the games, was happening in Soccer. Nigeria beat Brazil in an extremely exciting game.

Oh, well. I'm sure there are a lot of big beach volleyball fans out there who would have ben pissed off if they would have had to miss the pre-season-quarter-semi-final volleyball tourney.

Of course we're more likely to want to hear about our favorite players and sports, and they're more likely to be from America, but things are a bit worse than that.

- Steve

Comment

No, damn right, it's not a joke. Iswitched on the Télévision Suisse Romande the other day. For a 30 minute proggy supposed to summarise the Olympics, my ears were battered with the Swiss who came in fifth, 22nd, 11th in their respective disciplines or who failed to qualify for the next stage (you can imagine 20 minutes when Federer was knocked out from qualifying). Not once did they mention who or what nationality actually won medals. The Greeks are even worse. Last night, the BBC World news boasted that a Brit got gold in the 800 m W event, as the top "sports" item. The fact that the silver and bronze medallists weren't even mentioned was blatant. A true sportsman wants to see the prowess of the best, irrespective of race or creed, not the fifth, 22nd, 11th.
                    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

How true Brian. Although I enjoy watching Klüft, Olsson an Holm get their gold medals I don't want to see some other swede finish 20th!

Comment

Working...
                      X