PVC hybrid rockets....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PVC hybrid rockets....

Hybrid rockets are the kind of engine used by Rutan in SpaceShip One. They are a throttleable, re-startable solid rocket booster that are also very cheap to build, which gives them a lot of advantages. Rutan is using nitrous oxide, easily available at hot-rod shops, as the oxidizer and a rubber compound as the fuel, but other hydrocarbon solids can also work.

Want to play with this kind of device? Go here;

Have phun

Dr. Mordrid
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

The next time, it wont just be your hand Doc.

Dangerous hobbies youve got!

~~DukeP~~

Comment

You haven't seen even the start of it

When I was a kid on the farm we used dynamite to blow stumps. Also mixed some ANFO (ammonia nitrate (fertilizer)/fuel oil) at times for the same purpose since it was cheaper than dynamite and we had the ingredients on hand.

My dad also showed me how to make thermite, a high temperature mix that was used to weld engine blocks in the field during WWII. Also a pretty good for use in incindiary bombs. My uncle (dads brother) also showed me how to make a field version of plastique.

I've also built rockets of up to 2 meters high using various solid fuels based on powdered iron, aluminum or zinc as well as sugar+oxidizer.

I had a fun childhood

Dr. Mordrid
      Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 23 August 2004, 01:04.
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
      X