Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

All-in-One printing, scanning, faxing .. ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All-in-One printing, scanning, faxing .. ?

Hi Folks,

i thought about getting rid of the old printer and the old scanner and replace them with an all-in-one solution.

Faxing should be possible standalone without a pc connection.
    Colour would be a god option.

I looked already at a Lexmark X6150 (cheaper price) or a Brother MFC 3820CN (got better reviews).

Any ideas, advices, recommendations?

Thx
    Rakido
    "Women don't want to hear a man's opinion, they just want to hear their opinion in a deeper voice."

Dell A960 isn't too bad.
    Not amazing thouugh but has a ADF

Comment

I recently bought a Lexmark X215. It's a very decent unit. I was going to use it only as a (really) cheap photocopy machine (no A3 though) but I've decided to network it and see what else it can do...

The ADF looks a bit on the cheap side, as all the plastics of the unit, but not worse than your Brother or HP equivalent. But hey, for 300$ you get laser printer, fax, scanner and photocopy machine (very decent one too). Moreover, it's very easy to use.

Comment

A few weeks ago my wife bought an HP PSC 1210 compact multifunction unit for just $89.99 USD;

Data sheet....

Its scans and printouts are quite good, it's tiny at only 16.8w x 10.2d x 6.7h (folded up it's the size of a small bread box), the software/driver package is very good (including OCR) and it was recently given a "Best Buy" in Consumer Reports review of multifunction devices. In the CR article many of the devices reviewed cost 3-4 times as much as the PSC 1210. Connection is by USB and it can be used as a standalone copier.

HP makes 2 other similar devices;

The PSC 1315 is a 3 cardridge photo printer (black, tricolor & photo) and has the new industry standard PictBridge digital camera I/O port. $129.99 USD

Data sheet....

The PSC 1350 is also a 3 cardridge photo printer but with multiple digital card slots. $129.99 USD

Data sheet....

Lots of bang/buck with these printers.

Dr. Mordrid
        Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 20 August 2004, 07:27.
        Dr. Mordrid
        ----------------------------
        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
          A few weeks ago my wife bought an HP PSC 1210 compact multifunction unit for just $89.99 USD;

Data sheet....

Its scans and printouts are quite good, it's tiny at only 16.8w x 10.2d x 6.7h (folded up it's the size of a small bread box), the software/driver package is very good (including OCR) and it was recently given a "Best Buy" in Consumer Reports review of multifunction devices. In the CR article many of the devices reviewed cost 3-4 times as much as the PSC 1210. Connection is by USB and it can be used as a standalone copier.

HP makes 2 other similar devices;

The PSC 1315 is a 3 cardridge photo printer (black, tricolor & photo) and has the new industry standard PictBridge digital camera I/O port. $129.99 USD

Data sheet....

The PSC 1350 is also a 3 cardridge photo printer but with multiple digital card slots. $129.99 USD

Data sheet....

Lots of bang/buck with these printers.

Dr. Mordrid
          looks very nice.. I just wish they would use the normal big size cartridges instead of these tiny ones

HP 56 black print cartridge (19 ml)
          C6656A

HP 57 tri-color print cartridge (17 ml)
          C6657A

HP 27 low capacity black print cartridge (10 ml)
          C8727A

HP 28 low capacity tri-color print cartridge (8ml)
          C8728A

my HP990CXI uses 42ml black cartridges, which was the standard just a few years ago
          We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Canon MultiPass MP730?

it has fax function

Comment

I'll GIVE you the HP if you promise to buy your cartridges from me j/k

Heck, replacing the cartridges costs more than buying another unit...

Comment

Originally posted by Kurt
                I'll GIVE you the HP if you promise to buy your cartridges from me j/k

Heck, replacing the cartridges costs more than buying another unit...
                So true. For my CX5400, 2 refills = cost of multifunction. But at least their ink last longer than average.

Comment

Ever hear of ink refill kits? Thank God for computer shows where I can buy each color and the cleaning fluds by the pint or quart and rebuilt cartridges for $0.30 on the dollar

Dr. Mordrid
                  Dr. Mordrid

Comment

My sister and I bought my parents an Epson CX6400 for $100 after rebates. So far so good, it doesn't have fax, but I think there is a similar model that does.
                    Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
                    Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
                      Ever hear of ink refill kits? Thank God for computer shows where I can buy each color and the cleaning fluds by the pint or quart and rebuilt cartridges for $0.30 on the dollar

Dr. Mordrid
                      Wouldn't use ink refills on Epsons. Last time I did that I spent quite bit of time unblocking the heads. If you can't it's new printer time anyway.
                      Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Originally posted by The PIT
                        Wouldn't use ink refills on Epsons. Last time I did that I spent quite bit of time unblocking the heads. If you can't it's new printer time anyway.
                        And Canons....

in 9 of 10 times when someone brings in a printer cause it won't print, you find a refill or pirate ink cartridge in them....
                        If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Just a note to guys thinking of HP printers and inks

I always used to set up the printer to use the least amount of ink in draft-mode when using original HP ink (the printout is comparable to others' normal printout) this makes the smaller ink amount last a bit longer and if really needed would just use the re-fill ink once for every original hp ink. As HP printhead is on the ink cartridge itself.

Hope this helps in your buying decision as i am staying away from epson which, while having high quality printing and cheaper inks, ends up using more ink cartridges.

this is of course just my opinion
                          Life is a bed of roses. Everyone else sees the roses, you are the one being gored by the thorns.

AMD PhenomII555@B55(Quadcore-3.2GHz) Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 Kingston 1x2GB Generic 8400GS512MB WD1.5TB LGMulti-Drive Dell2407WFP
                          ***Matrox G400DH 32MB still chugging along happily in my other pc***

Comment

Anyone who even thinks about a non-HP for this, please slap yourselves right now!

We've been using an HP R80 in my office for about 4 years now, and nothing can compare. It's just a great machine. Lots of daily usage for faxing, copying, printing, and scanning.. it's a real trooper. Those of you who always quibble about buying HP cartridges (oh, they're SO expensive!) can also begin your self-flagellation now. You're buying a new, fresh print head at the same time, so your copies and everything still look super sharp. And besides, the HP cartridges hold twice as much ink as Canon ones.. you're saying you would rather go to the store twice as many times for half the cartridge because they are cheaper??? Yeah, that's it.. just always buy the cheapest thing available and you're making the right decision.. hey, that worked for my used '58 Citroen 2CV..
                            Last edited by KvHagedorn; 25 August 2004, 22:35.

Comment

Originally posted by The PIT
                              I wouldn't buy an Epson anyhow because you cannot replace the print head in the SOB's. At least with HP you get a fresh one with every cartridge. Canons have perhaps the best system where you just replace tanks but have the option of replacing the head when it clogs.

That said we now have two HP's: the 1210 Multi and a cp1700 13"x19", which has 16MB of memory, optional double sided printing and networkability and 28 ml tanks (another 8 ml in each printhead)

Dr. Mordrid
                              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
                              X