good VPN s/w?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• good VPN s/w?

I'd like to be able to monitor a computer at work from home, as well as be able to upload/download files from there.
    I've picked up a Linksys wrv54g and have looked at a few s/w packages like VNC ( this looks like it will do all I need).

My main concerns are this:
    -I want to monitor a computer that DNC's (acts as a buffer for a CNC milling machine) and see the progress of the program - this will tell me how far the machine is along in completing the work.
    -I also want to be able to upload large files (dbs files saved from satellite xmission - to go to my video editing setup there)
    - how secure is this and which protocol shOuld I use?

Does anyone have any experience with VNC and can anyone recommend are other s/w.

Thanks,

Pat
    Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

The hacked firmware for the WRV54G has VPN stuff in it now, which I don't recall the regular firmware having..

Download WIFI-BOX - WRT54G(s) GPL Firmware for free. WIFI-BOX Firmware for WRT54G(s), Hacked with Linksys's GPL source code, Add more futures for this Wireless Router... Updated: Now support for GS version and Asus WL-500GS...

at work I use VNC to monitor the server remotely and it works pretty good, though I am sure there are faster softwares out there
    We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

that link is for the wrt, as the wrv is already vpn capable, but that's cool , as I have the wrt at home .
      How hard is VNC to get up and running? Any road-bumps?
      Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

VNC is pretty easy to get going. I am not sure how secure it is as for others hacking in.. I use it on the local network and don't really have such worries. tricky part is knowing what IP to connect to. if you have a static IP at your work it is no issue, but chances are it is dynamic. the hacked firmware allows for automatic update of some dynamic DNS sites. I have not tried them yet though.
        As for setting up a real VPN.. I "think" windows comes with all you need, as long as you know how to. You can then map the work drive to your home computer through the internet, which actually would be something I could use here aswell..
        So with all what I wrote here, I am not sure I really said anything usefull.. hope it was anyways

Kasper

Comment

citrix?

Comment

Windows 2000 or 2003 server comes with vpn (RAS) and it works well, I use it to connect from home to a private lan here at work. VNC works well, if you are worried about security, I believe you can use it with SSH, and that is fairly secure.
            "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

found this.. it may help

Comment

@tjalfe: yes I've got a dynamic IP, but this is no prob, I've signed for dynamic DNS from dyndns.org, and the existing firmware of the router supports automatic updating.

I went and bought the wrv version of the router as it supports VPN, but looking at VNC, I really didn't need this, did I.
                Yes and I am worried about security, and from the VNC installation documentation it really doen't look very secure, but I really like the feature of being able to monitor a particular screen of a PC.
                I'll have a look at citrix and SSH.

Comment

Actually Symantec PC Anywhere...

Citrix may be overkill, it is basically a system where by multiple people can work off a single server, kinda like a thin client and i just transferrs the picture and keystrokes. Does crazy things like being able to print to a local printer which i don't quite understand how that works.

But PC Anywhere 11 is probably better (security wise). Like a suped up VNC / Remote desktop application. That is what i reccommend.

And there is a 30 day trial on their website..

CLIP //

Symantec pcAnywhereâ„¢ 11.0 is the world's leading remote control solution. Its integrated tools make it easy for helpdesk personnel to resolve server and workstation problems. Robust security prevents unauthorized access to enterprise resources. File transfer users will appreciate the ability to queue multiple files and then work uninterrupted while the files are transferring.
                  • NEW! Remote management tools let you run vital utilities remotely to solve problems and modify settings.
                  • NEW! Utilities you can use remotely include Command Prompt, Task Manager, Services, and Regedit.
                  • NEW! Other remote management capabilities include viewing, starting, and stopping services; shutting down, locking, and rebooting workstations; logging off users; viewing the NT Event log; editing system files; and viewing installed programs.
                  • NEW! Now supports 13 different authentication methods, including LDAP, ADS, NDS, Novell® Bindery, NT domains, and RSA SecurID®.
                  • NEW! The pcAnywhere Command Queue lets you send a set of files and DOS commands to one or more computers.

// And no I don't work for them.

Comment

yep, that would do all I need, but I'm really trying to do this without spending any money.
                    I tried Vnc, works great for viewing the status of my one computer so I can see how far along the job has progressed.
                    The only problem is that it really slows down the commincations through the com port during the connection.
                    Ive tried just using the microsoft VNP connection through my win98 machine at work, but it won't connect. I think I need a more up to date client as in the newer version supplied with 2k or xp.
                    the SSH sentinal was available previously as a free client, but since it was purchased by safenet, it is no longer available for download. Does anyone have this s/w in version 1.3 or 1.4?
                    It was available as a free download, so there wouldn't be any copyright problems.

Comment

So there's a few things you can do here. * Run VNC with lower resolution/color depth.
                      * Install the cygwin tools. You can get a good ssh client, server, and ftp setups on the machine, to move files around.
                      * If VPN isn't working, I don't think SSH sentinel (a VPN client) will work.
                      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Working...
                      X