Windows 2000 Setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 2000 Setup

When doing a clean install of Windows XP, after you’ve selected the partition
    where XP will be installed, you are presented with the option to format the
    drive or partition. The format options are:
    • Format the partition using the NTFS file system (Quick)
      Format the partition using the FAT file system (Quick)
      Format the partition using the NTFS file system
      Leave the current file system intact (no changes)

Is there a way to modify Windows 2000 installation (replace installation files
    with ones from WinXP installation or something like that) to add quick format
    option in Windows 2000 setup?

To be clearer...

I have copied Windows 2000 installation files to harddisk and I maked scripts for
    unattended installation and it works, now I just need to make bootable CD but before
    that I want to know is there a possibility to replace some files in installation to add
    "quick format" option to Windows 2000 setup (like in WinXP)?

Comment

You could always use a linux or Windows XP disc to format the drive and then put the 2K disc in otherwise it's all up to experimentation. It's still way faster than a normal format.

Comment

W2K and WinXP use different versions of NTFS. Is that part of the reason?
        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Just get Partition Magic... create, label and format in less than a minute. Maybe 2 if you have a 400GB HDD...

Comment

Working...
          X