Video Presentation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video Presentation

I've recently converted around an hours-worth of VHS tape to MPEGs using the Matrox Rainbow Runner, which I want to use in college lectures. While the resolution and size of the images is acceptable, I was thinking about re-recording the MPEGS using a higher setting to improve on this. (I originally used something in the mid-range, around 1.34 mg per sec). What concerns me though is the increase in file size, as I plan on using these MPEGS as part of a cd, laptop presentation. I'm am a neophyte to all this, so bear with me if I haven't yet mastered all the technical jargon.

Any comments or words of wisdom?

Many thanks in advance for the help.

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

TMPGEnc is freeley availble from www.jamsoft.com/tmpgenc download the v12a version AND the English patch for 12a. The original is in Japanese and thus difficult to use for non Japanese readers!

V12a has MPEG1 (for VCD etc) and MPEG2 (for SVCD,DVD etc).

V12b available from www.tmpgenc.com only has MPEG1 due to licensing issues with MPEG2 - the author would have to pay a license fee for each copy - hence it wouldn't be freeware any more. Although I haven't tried it - the word is that V12b is a bit quicker at VCD MPEG1 transcoding and has slightly better quality due to it's motion estimation.
      Phil
      AMD XP 1600+ ,MSI K7TPro2-RU, 512Mb, 20Gb System, 40Gb RAID0 , HP 9110 CD-RW, Pioneer DVD/CD, Windows 2000 Pro SP2, ATI RADEON 7000, Agere OHCI 1394, DX8.1, MSP 6.5, Midiman USB AudioSport Quattro (4 channel 24bit/96Khz sound unit)

Comment

Alternately, you could forget about MPEG1 and move on to MPEG4. I don't know what your target platform for viewing these files is, but a pentium laptop will have no trouble playing an asf-encoded file.

Check out the windows media encoder from Microsoft, it will make .wmv files that can compress the heck out of your source and maintain the image quality quite acceptably.

- Aryko

Comment

Do you mean MPEG's or MJPEG's?
          I ask because you can get fairly high quality (easily VHS standard) MJPEG files at about 1.25Mb/sec. Far higher quality than MPEG's!

------------------

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Biker:
            Do you mean MPEG's or MJPEG's?
            I ask because you can get fairly high quality (easily VHS standard) MJPEG files at about 1.25Mb/sec. Far higher quality than MPEG's!

Could you explain the difference? I'm a total neophyte when it comes to all this, but am educable. (I think). I'm almost certain what we're using are MPEGs. The Matrox generated modified AVIS which we then converted into standard MPEGs. What's essential is that I am able to play these on a laptop. The AVIs looked sensational actually (better in my opinion than than the MPEGs,) but you need the specific CODEC to play them. I wanted something I could play on any laptop (in the event mine for instance crashed for some reason and I needed to borrow someone's at a college). Am I making sense?

I'm interested in learning more about the MJPEGs you mentioned and how much memory space they would occupy versus standard MPEGs.

Thanks again for your help. I need all the assistance I can get. So few people in my current circle of friends are knowledgeable in this specialized area.

</font>

Comment

Re: Circles of friends, I am in the same boat. - luckily there are lots of great folks here (my new friends)who all kindly help each other.

Yes Mjpeg's do in a special encoder. It sounds as if you need a good Mpeg or mpg encoder. TMPGEnc12a is the best. Dear Doc Mordrid put me wise on this recently. And its fast!!!

If you do a search for it in this forum 'search'. You will find plenty of info a links to it.

The data rate even for very high quality is VERY small, probably well under 500Kb/sec. Can't remember actual figures and don't want to look for my calculator at the moment.

Best of luck.

------------------

Comment

Re: Circles of friends, I am in the same boat. - luckily there are lots of great folks here (my new friends)who all kindly help each other.

Yes Mjpeg's do need a special encoder. It sounds as if you need a good Mpeg or mpg encoder. TMPGEnc12a is the best. Dear Doc Mordrid put me wise on this recently. And its fast!!!

If you do a search for it in this forum 'search'. You will find plenty of info a links to it.

The data rate even for very high quality is VERY small, probably well under 500Kb/sec. Can't remember actual figures and don't want to look for my calculator at the moment.

Best of luck.

------------------

Comment

Thanks again for the input! I did a search, but couldn't find a match. Could you tell me who the manufacturer of TMPGE would be? That might help. In reading about MJPEG's last night, by the way, it was indicated the resulting file would be relatively large, about three times bigger than MPEG. I also understand I would need a suitable MJPEG card to achieve good quality on playback. Sounds like MPEG may be more suitable for me given the circumstances. What do you think?

Comment

Working...
                  X