Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dumb XP multi user question. (re: desktop settings)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dumb XP multi user question. (re: desktop settings)

I was setting up a log on for ChooChoo and notice that if I set her up as 800x600, which fits most kids games & stuff, then log back on as myself my desktop is changed to 800x600.

Don't users have separate desktop settings?

Is there a configuration setting that I missed that would retain each users desktop setup?

It's not a big deal, but I was very surprised.

Chuckl
    Chuck
    秋音的爸爸

I think that's the way it works. Screen resolution is system wide. Other desktop settings, like colours and wallpapers, are user specific. I haven't found a way around that.
    Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Yeah, I had that problem too. No workaround I could find at the time. Now http://www.download.com/XP-Keep-per-...-10260437.html is out, though. I haven't tried it myself.
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Well I just find that astonishing.

Thanks Wombat, I'll give it a try.
        And do some more research.

Chuck
        Chuck
        秋音的爸爸

Comment

It's the same in Win2k too. That can be a real pain for job-sharers who have different preferences.
          FT.

Comment

Hehe. That's how I use to keep people of my machine. I'd set it to 1600 by 1200 and restrict access to the registry settings.

Comment

Well, I turned on Fast User Switching and installed XP Keep per User Display Settings 1.1.

Works Great!

Plus, I didn't realy understand Fast User Switching.
              It is cool.
              Now I can leave OE running and get important emails auto forwarded to my office and still let ChooChoo play on the PBS Teletubbies site*, logged on as herself, with limited rights.

Chuck

* Which, by the way, is a really great site for young children.
              Lots of simple computer activities for the pre-schooler.
              Chuck
              秋音的爸爸

Comment

Working...
              X