Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what is sms.ac ?

Hello,

A friend of mine just sent me an invitation to register at sms.ac... (http://www.sms.ac )

It has something to do with connecting an emailadres to a mobile phone, and sending free SMS. But I don't trust it.. The FAQ seems a bit simplistic...

Any experiences/comments on this service ?

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

There are a number of 'free' send sms sites, this one I know nothing about.

I use a paid service that allows me to recive sms replies to my email.
    Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Yes, but they apparently charge for receiving mails, and the number of free SMS you can send is limited (for Belgium: 8). I also suspect you have to send them from their website, so that isn't too convenient...

(FWIW: my provider allows me to link an email address to my mobile, so I don't even need third party support for that)

Jörg
      pixar

Comment

I only have email for my cell actually, the sms service is limited only to each provider here.

I use the sms serice I have for contacting a few people in other countries.
        Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

She just mailed that we got the invitation by mistake... Apparently, she now also doesn't trust it completely...

As for mobile mail: with my Psion 5mx and my mobile, I can dial up and access my regular mailboxes...
          (occasionally, I need this, I'm hoping to be able to do it with my mobile once I upgrade it)

Jörg
          pixar

Comment

I've had 2 unrelated people invite me to join too. Seems to be spreading rapidly...
            Meet Jasmine.
            flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

It is dodgy. Delete.

Anything from .ac or even "ac.uk" for example is fake. I see a lot of it, and have to warn our academics frequently.
              FT.

Comment

i am ignoring it at the moment, i have had a couple of friends who sent me that mail.. too dodgy for me and anyways i have to struggle to finish the 300 free smses i get from my phone company here in singapore
                Life is a bed of roses. Everyone else sees the roses, you are the one being gored by the thorns.

AMD PhenomII555@B55(Quadcore-3.2GHz) Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 Kingston 1x2GB Generic 8400GS512MB WD1.5TB LGMulti-Drive Dell2407WFP
                ***Matrox G400DH 32MB still chugging along happily in my other pc***

Comment

Working...
                X