ADSL modem upgrade time...maybe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ADSL modem upgrade time...maybe

I think my alacatel speedtouch adsl ethernel modem my have been fried in the last thunderstorm we had.

I don't get any link/carrier light anymore, coincedently the entire adsl network in OZ went down the same night..so I am not sure if its my modem or the network is the culprit...

If it the modem does any one have recomendations for a new modem..

My d-link 804 ADSL router/firewall /switch still seems to be intact and has worked well in the past, but with the cost of combo modem/routers so close to a modem It might be worth getting a combo thingy.

Anyone have something to say about the following (eg avoid it or is it good)

I tempted to just get a decent modem, and keep my existing router..but its only an extra $30-50(AUD) to get switch/router/modem

D-Link DSL-302G Ethernet/USB ADSL Modem
    Netgear DM602
    ADSL Modem Dynalink EXT. RTA230

Netcomm NB1300 ADSL Ethernet & USB Modem/Router
    NetGear DM602 ADSL Ethernet & USB Modem & Route
    NetGear DG632 ADSL Ethernet & USB Modem & Router

NetGear DG834 4-Port ADSL Modem & Router
    Netcomm NB1300PLUS4 4-Port ADSL Modem & Router
    D-Link DSL-504 ADSL Router With Built-in Modem
    Billion 5100
    ADSL 4Port Router Dynalink Ext RTA770
    Last edited by Marshmallowman; 16 August 2004, 00:50.

Comment

I've had good experiences with the DG834G - does everything inc. 802.11G. Haven't used the others though.
      FT.

Comment

Might end up getting one.(the none G version)

just did some testing , my old adsl modem is defintely cactus...it does not recogise when a network cable is connected.

Also an uplink port has been fried on the switch in my work area. So my adsl/router may be damaged as well...anyone no how test one?

Comment

I've been toying with the idea of going ADSL for a little while now and the D-Link DSL 504 looks pretty good from what i have researched.

You may want to check with your provider about compatibility with whichever option you decide to go with as i have seen some info that suggests certain carriers here in Oz don't play friendly with certain modems/routers.

Phill...
          ASUS P8Z68-V Pro Motherboard, Intel Core i7 2600K CPU @ 4.3GHz, G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 32GB DDR3 Ram, Pioneer DVR-219L DVDRW, OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD, Western Digital Black 1TB SATA HDD, Sapphire Radeon R9 280X 3GB, Everything being driven by Windows 10 Professional (64Bit)...

Bored Yet?

Comment

I intend to buy the Netgear DG834 (not the wireless, G version) but I will consider even the Alcatel SpeedTouch 510v4.
            My future ADSL ISP recomands and delivers the SpeedTouch-Home modem wich I don't like. Therefor I am looking for a similar name, the SpeedTouch 510v4 in this case. Any ideas, please?

At the present I am connected to a wireless LAN managed by my ISP. It is fast, sometimes, but slow if the network is overrloaded. That's the reason why I will go ADSL. The ADSL bandwidth is more stable here.

Fred
            Last edited by Fred H; 16 August 2004, 06:39.
            It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings...
            ------------------------------------------------

Comment

If you want a recommendation, it is to stay away from dlink ... below average performance, hefty price tag. Alcatel equipment seems best tuned for ADSL in australia, but there is plenty of cheap equipment that works well enough.
              80% of people think I should be in a Mental Institute

Comment

I've read too many bad things about D-Link and I excluded it from my wish list.
                Alcatel??? I like it. Are them so good as the reviews say?

A modem+router combo could be a way to go. If the router fails I can still use the modem and vice-versa.

Fred
                Last edited by Fred H; 16 August 2004, 09:15.
                It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings...
                ------------------------------------------------

Comment

I've been using a Linksys BEFSR-41 cable/dsl router/switch/NAT for years and it's been bulletproof, and this is running 24/7/365. They also frequently upgrade their firmware.

Interesting point: the wireless models internal OS is Linux and can be modded. Linksys even has GPL source code on their site.

Dr. Mordrid
                  Dr. Mordrid
                  ----------------------------
                  An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

While searching around I have noticed quite a few linux based modem routers..(alcatel and whole bunch of others)

Can't find much linksys stuff around here at a reaonable price.

I tempted to go for a modem, and keep my old router(that way only the modem fries next time )

My ISP has support pages for most dlink and quite a few alcatel modems(and billion)

Comment

I don't like Linksys's wireless access points. They screwed up something in the antenna engineering, and they don't have the range or signal quality of the other brands, even when using the same chips.
                      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

That can be remedied by using a firmware hack to turn up the Linksys WRT54G's power output significantly. This requires the release 9/9/03 WRT54G v1.1 firmware (though some say other firmwares of similar vintage can also do it) and uses the PING interface to do the mod.

The FCC limits them to about 19 mw output when shipped, but the hack lets you go much higher. If you opt to put in heat sinks you can go up to about 84+ mw, but going this high may sacrifice stability. Most people are staying at or below 64 mw. To be safe most are staying between 48 mw and 56 mw.

The ping hack is done as follows:

1. Go to the System tab of the router config
                        2. Hit the "PING Test" button.
                        3. Anything that is included in the "IP Address or Domain Name" box will be executed once you hit PING

The PING command is '/usr/sbin/wl -i eth2 txpwr [level]' (single quotes included).

Ex: send the string '/usr/sbin/wl -i eth2 txpwr 48' to set an output level of 48 mw.

Dr. Mordrid
                        Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 16 August 2004, 10:43.
                        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

I'm getting a Linksys in a couple of days
                          a BEFSX41.....
                          I really hope it will be a 100% stable 24/7 router
                          If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Just don't expect to try the WiFi hack on it. That one is hardwired

Mine's been boringly stable for the several years I've had it. All I do is regularly plug in new firmware & keep on truckin'. Not even changing from cable to dsl seemed to matter. All I had to do was change the host name in the router setups.

Dr. Mordrid
                            Dr. Mordrid

Comment

On the other hand, my friend's Linksys BEFSR41 has given him problems to no end. Constant connection loss, lockups, loss of speed, and incompatibility with some programs like Steam.

Comment

Working...
                              X