X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IBM issues XP-SP2 caution....

IDG:

IBM Urges Caution

While this patch may be good news for other Microsoft Windows XP owners, IBM is directing XP users not to install SP2, the note states. With close to 400,000 desktops, IBM is a very large Microsoft customer.

IBM's large number of Web applications will need to be tested and some modified to work correctly with SP2. Currently, some high profile, business-critical applications are also known to conflict with SP2, IBM tells its employees in the note. "When the current issues and concerns have been addressed, IBM will deploy a customized version of SP2.
    Not very encouraging

Dr. Mordrid
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

I'll second that !!

sounds like ibm didn't participate in the beta testing...whoops?

cc

Comment

I have a friend who works one of the MS internal help desks, talks about the stuff SP2 does "break". Mostly it's RAS and IPSec related stuff, and the internal web apps that are unsigned are another huge problem. it's not so much that it is "broken", it's that they changed the way things work again...
      "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

IBM does that with every patch issued for every system they have, same as any other large company out there. It's only makes sense to extensively test any new patch before rolling it out to that many desktops.

This is not news, but since so many news sources picked up on it, it became news.
        Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Yep
          P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

I was going to post the same as agallag.

AZ
            There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Working...
            X