MSP7 Title Workarounds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MSP7 Title Workarounds

The MSP7 titler is very powerful as to effects but if these are overdone, rendering time becomes very long. It also has severe limitations as to the length of credits that is convenient to make. For those of us (like myself) who live in countries which use languages with non-Latin characters (Cyrillic, Greek, Arabic, Hebrew etc.), the titler will not accept them at all.

One workaround is to use CG Infinty. This accepts non-Latin characters, but only in a very limited number of fonts (mainly Arial and TNR: don't be deceived when you look at the font list - it ain't true ). However, although this program is very powerful and is a part of the MSP7 suite, it is not very easy to use.

I've found a more flexible workaround is to use PhotoImpact XL (PIXL), although some other photo-editing suites may also be used. This will accept non-Latin characters in many (but not all) fonts and text of any length can be imported or typed, with an enormous variety of styles, colour patterns, etc. For rolling credits, I select a new project of 720 (or 704) pixels wide and I estimate the length required. I use either black or white as the background, depending on the colour of the text, to give a good contrast. After the text is finished (remember overscan; with PIXL, you can add guidelines to delineate the area), I merge it into the background and save it as a TGA (Targa) file.

I then introduce it into the MSP7 timeline on line V1...n, with the desired background shot (still or moving) on Va. Select Overlay options and Type to Color Key with Mask as Overlay Clip. Set the box to whichever colour you chose for the background. Then introduce a 2D Basic moving path onto the title clip. Make the width 720 or 704 and the height the same as the file for both the Start and the End keyframes, with the X set at 360 (or 352), with the Keep Aspect Ratio UNchecked. Position the Start and End keyframes vertically so that the text is where you want it (it can be out of the frame). Rendering is reasonably fast, typically 2 x RT on a moderately fast machine.

By improving on this basic technique, you can polish it up to suit your needs.

Feel free to add this to any FAQs.
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Another workaround is to move out of the country...

Just joking Brian

Regards,

Debbie
    We pass this way only once. Make the most of it !

Comment

Can't you just open a text file (word,etc)and import it from the titling window? or am I missing something?
      smitty

Comment

Originally posted by smitty
        Can't you just open a text file (word,etc)and import it from the titling window? or am I missing something?
        smitty
        Yes, you are The titler translates it to gobbledegook.

Comment

Not sure what you are getting Brian but if I type a title up or copy a document in wordpad ( I imagine word is the same but I normally use wordpad) save it either as a dos text or a text document or even an RTF, as long as you strip the formatting , then open the file in the titler window , it works perfect.
          You are limited to a 2k file however.
          It's perfect for scanning a document that you want to show on screen as is.
          Are you saying you can't do that?
          smitty
          sorry I didn't try a different language. how can I try that?
          Last edited by smitty; 16 August 2004, 20:55.

Comment

Living in a Greek-speaking community, importing Greek text produces gobbledegook, anything but Greek. I've never tried with Latin characters.

Comment

Isn't the Latin alphabet the same as the English one with out the W ??
              paulw

Comment

The Latin alphabet is that used by all Latin and W. European languages and includes the W and diacritical marks such as Ã_éôäïç etc. It is not the alphabet as used exclusively in writing the Latin language.

Comment

Hmmm don't have that problem with Premiere Pro's titler.
                  All I can say is make sure the fonts are installed as true type in Windows then call up the font in MSP and see if that work.

Regards,
                  Elie

Comment

Working...
                  X