Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help me FIX my computer !!!

Hi,

I have an ASUS P2B-DS motherboard (DUAL P3 with SCSI) and for some reason, whenever I boot up, it goes straight to the BIOS.

Sometimes, I turn the computer on, and the BIOS loads up first. Othertimes, the computer starts up, shows that two CPUs are detected, does a memory test, and then goes to the BIOS.

So I took all the PCI cards out, all the ram out (with the exception of 1 256M stick (I swapped them individually, to make sure it isnt' bad ram)), and unhooked all the drives, but the same thing keeps happening. I also pulled out one of the CPUs.

All my harddrives are SCSI, but the boot process does not get far enough along to check the SCSI BIOS. I am at a loss.

Please help.
    ASUS P2B-DS REV 1.06 D03 w/ DUAL 1.4GHZ Tualatins; Matrox Parhelia; M-Audio Delta 410

Apple Powerbook G4 - 1.33GHZ

btw, there are NO beeps from the computer during the bootup process.
    ASUS P2B-DS REV 1.06 D03 w/ DUAL 1.4GHZ Tualatins; Matrox Parhelia; M-Audio Delta 410

Comment

Originally posted by X-Caliber
      btw, there are NO beeps from the computer during the bootup process.
      Are you sure the speaker is still attached?

I'ts very unusual to have a machine that NEVER beeps.

- Steve

Comment

yeah the speaker is STILL attached. I tried removing all the ram, and it beeped.

Comment

remove your keyboard.
          ram installed.

See if it halts on a KB error...
          Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Hi Sasq,

I removed the keyboard and the computer booted up??? That's strange! Did my keyboard fail, or maybe the keyboard port? btw, how did you know to try this?

Comment

just a guess, the no beeps gave it away.

As a guess you have dont halt on kb error set in the bios. If you did it would have halted during POST check at the lack of a KB.

Try a different KB and see what happens, I'd lay more odds on a faulty KB then a controller. but I'm making no bets
              Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

that's right, I turned off the don't halt on kb errors. But strangely enough, when it was going straight to the BIOS, the keyboard was working perfectly. So I don't understand what's going on. The keyboard isn't faulty, the keyboard port is working, but it won't boot unless the keyboard is disconnected. I don't have another keyboard to try (I am using my Powerbook to type - btw, these Apple machines are REALLY NICE )

Comment

hehe, well I'm answering you on the ibook

it could just be a timing fault when the kb first resets at powerup... Not really sure, so I am not going to try to guess to much.
                  Juu nin to iro

Comment

could be that... it could be that the keyboard thinks that a key is stuck... i would suggest trying to borrow a keyboard from a friend/neighbor to try to see if that makes it happy again - if it works, you can easily pick a new one up. if it doesn't, you are not out any money...
                    "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Man, I can't believe Sasq beat me to the punch!

Just today I had a customer who's PC wouldn't boot unless she disconnected her mouse.

I didn't make the connection earlier but I was just re-reading this thread and just before I saw Sasq's post I thought, "hey, this is similar to a problem Jon solved today." Then I saw Sasq's post and thought, "Well, that's gotta be it!"

In fact, come to think of it, I've seen this type of problem many times before. Most keyboards and mice are made on the cheap. Often, as they age they start to do funny things. Most times, they just stop working. Other times, they respond funny. Rarely, they'll blow a port on your PC (I've only seen this on PS/2 ports). In this case, your mobo must have detected something funny and failed post. Come to think of it again, I saw this problem with a keyboard about 6 years ago. The customer was too cheap to buy a new keyboard. It was solved by taking the keyboard apart and thoroughly cleaning the insides with q-tips and rubbing alcohol.

Anyway, I hope you get up and running again soon...

And lastly, well done Sasq!
                      P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

my keyboard is a microsoft natural keyboard; i have had for 5 years........

Comment

Borrow a kb from someone and check, if thats it, Take it apart and clean the plastic sheets as Schmo said above, I have the same KB - now in the cupboard (swapped to a localized MS natural) mine was playing up a few years ago and a good cleaning sorted it.
                          Juu nin to iro

Comment

Funnay, I was at my sisters the othe rday and she asked me to fix hers. WOuld not boot.

ONly way I could get it to boot was to disconnect the USB printer from it.

ANd they think I'm a genius
                            Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                            [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Thanks again Sasq => I cleaned the keyboard, and everything works again!!

Comment

Working...
                              X