Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Promise Onboard RAID Controller slows down WinXP boot time.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Promise Onboard RAID Controller slows down WinXP boot time.

In my primary system, se below, I tried to move my 80 GB Maxtor ATA 133 HD from the IDE1/slave to the IDE3 slot, which is the Promise Onboard RAID Controller.
    Enabled the BIOS to IDE mode and installed the FastTrack 378 driver for WinXP.
    Everything went ok and by this I could reduce the load on the IDE1 slot to only one HD, only to the system drive.
    But the WinXP boot time increased considerable, with about 20-30 extra seconds.
    I tried to find newer FastTrack378 drivers. The latest on Asus’s site is wrong. They say it is ver. 1.30, but the installation shows 1.26 exactly the same as on the Motherboards CD, for IDE not for RAID.
    I tried everything I could. I removed the only SATA drive, I tested a couple of other hardisks, and nothing helped.
    Now I am back with 2 HD on the IDE1 and I can’t use the Promise controller.
    I tested my drives with HD-Tach and couldn’t find any difference..
    The PCI Promise controllers have a very good reputation and I am frustrated with this quite advanced motherboard and the wrong Promise controller.
    Please, could someone help me?

Fred
    It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings...
    ------------------------------------------------

Nope, this is the way it will be. Systems with RAID take longer to boot. The RAID controller is doing a thorough scan of the drives attached to it.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Systems with RAID take longer to boot. The RAID controller is doing a thorough scan of the drives attached to it.
      Maybe, but not so with my second PC with the (hated) HighPoint HPT370 controller.
      I have them in network and am frustrated that the older machine is faster.

Fred
      Last edited by Fred H; 12 August 2004, 16:55.

Comment

Highpoint? It may just be software RAID or something.

Promise is actually taking care of you, the way I see it.
        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Yes Promise is the best one. No question about it. I have no experience with the Promise PCI cards anyway.
          If you consider that a +20 to 30 sec. more boot time is normal I must accept it.

Regards,
          Fred

Comment

I didn't like it either, but I had it with my Promise TX2 card.

Comment

Ghost from the past...

Now where are the promise controllers that have those slots for that "extra" "old" DDR333 SDRAM that I have laying around?
              You know, the one with the battery backup, using the extra GB of RAM for cache?

Apparently they don't make em anymore...

My old Promise VLBus with 16MB of RAM for cache on my old 486-66 and Matrox (oh my god, I can't remember the model) running Doom fully from cache...

Them's were the days...

(Edited to Remove Sig - woefully outdated as it were) =D
              Gaming Rig.

- Gigabyte GA-7N400-Pro
              - AMD Athlon 3200+ XP
              - 1.5GB Dual Channel DDR 433Mhz SDRAM
              - 6.1 Digital Audio
              - Gigabit Lan (Linksys 1032)
              - 4 x 120GB SATA Drives, RAID 0+1 (Striped/Mirrored)
              - Sony DRU-500A DVD/+/-/R/RW
              - Creative 8x DVD-ROM
              - LS120 IDE Floppy
              - Zip 100 IDE
              - PNY Ultra 5900 (256MB)
              - NEC FE950
              - DTT2500 Cambridge Soundworks

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
                I didn't like it either, but I had it with my Promise TX2 card.
                same here

part of the reason I got rid of it
                Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Working...
                X