Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comparison of dual-monitor features

Hi all,

I hope that this is not too off-topic. I have been enlisted to pick out a system for a church that is going to be using a projection system in their services. The setup will entail an LCD projector with a native resolution of 1024x768 and every input sort I could imagine one wanting (DVI, RGB, composite, S-video, and component) and a second monitor of undetermined type for the operator of the machine.

My first thought has that I wanted to use the DVI input for the best possible quality on the projector, so I need a video card that can output DVI. I am not 100% clear yet as to how the two monitors should be related, though. It might be best if one monitor does nothing but display what the church members should see, rather than any sort of Windows interface, etc. It might be that it doesn't matter.

So, that brings me to my question... I know that Matrox pioneered consumer dual-monitor cards. I have a P750 in my machine currently, and I know that it should be up to the task, whatever I want to do. I assume that a P650 would also be up to it, since I only need two monitors and silence would be a positive. How do the various manufacturers' dual-monitor options stack up now?

My understanding is that Matrox is the only one to really do much in the way of "surround gaming" even though gaming isn't their niche. What other features would I miss out on with another brand.

Really, I want to know what the pros and cons in terms of functionality to choosing a dual-head card from Matrox vs. the other companies, outside of surround gaming. Assuming that I am using DVI, I assume that quality will not vary significantly. Since I will likely buy a whole system, rather than build it from scratch, I assume that non-Matrox offerings will be easier to find, so that is why I am most interested. If there is a reason to use a Matrox card, does anyone know of a particularly good system reseller who has Matrox cards as an option?

I do not want the video card to be a particularly large part of the system's overall cost, so I don't want a top of the line card, just something that will drive the two screens capably.

Sorry for being verbose. All help is greatly appreciated.

Nathan

Well I suggested a theatre (not a cinema, a theatre with real actors and stage) to buy P650 since it has dual hardware overlays.

Thus you're able to switch second head to DVD Max mode (displaying full screen video in media player) and connect it to projector, while you can manage stuff on thi first screen in the back room.

So you open a video clip in media player, press play and video appears on projector in full screen.

Comment

Working...
    X