Windows XP Firewall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows XP Firewall

Just a curious question...is it really nessary to run the Windows XP Firewall if you have a router with a built in firewall ?
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

You can never be so safe even with a firewall/router.
    The Windows Firewall offers that bit of extra protection especially if you are running an internal network with several PC's.

Regards,
    Elie

Comment

I switched off the XP firewall and using ZoneAlarm in my WLAN, no router here, yet. And I am satisfied with ZA.
      But, I intend to go ADSL and just investigating about the best modem/router combination.
      Highest in my list is the SpeedTouch 510v4, but it is another question.
      One thing is sure: when you install the router you MUST disable all other firewalls, including the XPs, ZoneAlarm, Norton, everything. Otherwise you’ll run in trouble.
      If you are using BitTorrent or other P2P to download (legal files of course ) the routers firewall is a problem. I think you must open ports, forward ports etc which can be tricky.
      I must confess I am novice with routers, and I wonder if you can switch off the routers/modems firewall completely and use the software FW instead.
      I wonder if by switching off the routers FW. The port forwarding could be easier to do? Am I wrong?
      Any ideas, please?

Fred
      Last edited by Fred H; 12 August 2004, 13:59.
      It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings...
      ------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Fred H
        One thing is sure: when you install the router you MUST disable all other firewalls, including the XPs, ZoneAlarm, Norton, everything. Otherwise you’ll run in trouble.
        This isn't true.

If you are using BitTorrent or other P2P to download (legal files of course ) the routers firewall is a problem. I think you must open ports, forward ports etc which can be tricky.
        I'm not sure about other P2P protocols, but BitTorrent is not NAT-Friendly, and that's why you must forward.

I must confess I am novice with routers, and I wonder if you can switch off the routers/modems firewall completely and use the software FW instead.
        I wonder if by switching off the routers FW. The port forwarding could be easier to do? Am I wrong?
        Any ideas, please?
        You're talking about two different concepts. Firewalling is the act of restricting access to certain ports and protocols. Routers often implement NAT, a protocol that gives multiple local IPs the appearance of one IP to the outside world.
        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I use ZA with a router without any problems.

Comment

@Wombat,
            thanks a lot for the explanation.
            I am novice with routers, as I said, and I tried to tell about things I found on different forums.
            My intention was to initiate a discution just to incrase my knowledges in this area, before I will go DSL.
            I appreciate your explanation.

Regards,
            Fred

Comment

Quoted from Netgear Support 'Troubleshooting the DG834 Router'
              You are running a software firewall on your computer. Disable it while accessing the router's configuration. Also you should realize that running a firewall in conjunction with a NETGEAR firewall may cause other problems. We recommend turning off software firewalls
              Some right I've had anyway, that SW firewalls can cause trouble.
              Don't blame me for it. I am still novice

Fred

Comment

double firewalling is no problem if you know what you are doing
                "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

I've never liked the windows firewall (nor trusted it) so I don't use it. My cablemodem router built in firewall blocks everything anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred H
                    Some right I've had anyway, that SW firewalls can cause trouble.
                    Don't blame me for it. I am still novice

Fred
                    If I recall correctly and reading the pdf on the cd that came with my Netgear they trying to sell their own softwall firewall.

Softwall firewalls won't interfer with a router.
                    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Originally posted by The Pit
                      Netgear they trying to sell their own softwall firewall.
                      What's the name of Netgears SW Firewall?
                      I don't think so, because they say:

Quoted from Netgear Support 'Troubleshooting the DG834 Router'
                      We recommend turning off software firewalls
                      which is not a text for marketing any SW FW. Just turn off, they say.

I will understand what I read, because I'll get my ADSL at the end of Nov. and I have no practical experience about ADSL, yet.
                      At the present I am running a wireless 1 Mbps LAN with no router just 2 PC, one is the server.
                      So, I have a lot to learn. Go on with new ideas. I'll appreciate anything usefull.

Edit: BTW, which model of Netgear do you have? I intend to buy Netgear, but didn't decide which one.
                      Fred
                      Last edited by Fred H; 15 August 2004, 07:03.

Comment

whatever you get, stay away from the Netgear FR114P......
                        If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Well the best firewall money can buy these days is the Netscreen 5GT, it is a true firewall not only a router. It has four ports and you can setup untrust ad trust zones with Firewall rules as you please. All configurable through the browser.

I think it costs over $500.00 US and they are currently owned by Juniper.

Check it out at... http://www.juniper.net/products/jseries/5gt_adsl.html

Truly the best investment for security ever! I know I went on the course

Comment

Only problem I have with my Linksys routers NAT is not being able to download files using ICQ, but then I've not really pursued it very hard.

Otherwise no problems.

Dr. Mordrid
                            Dr. Mordrid
                            ----------------------------
                            An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
                              Only problem I have with my Linksys routers NAT is not being able to download files using ICQ, but then I've not really pursued it very hard.

Otherwise no problems.

Dr. Mordrid
                              In ICQs options you can tell it what port range to use, it doesn't have a default range. Have your router do port forwarding for the ports you give ICQ.
                              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Working...
                              X