X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MS jumps the shark - XP Lite for Asia

Look at the specs- max of 800x600 WTF?
    Chuck

PS How about as an option for the message icon?
    Chuck
    秋音的爸爸

Industry analysts have described the launch of what already has been dubbed "XP Lite" -- with lower-resolution graphics, fewer networking options and less capacity for multitasking than full XP versions -- as a pre-emptive move against Linux.
    Wow, smart.
    Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

Sounds to me like they took an early beta version before a bunch of stuff was added/worked and are repackaging it as "Lite"

Comment

This won't fly, except maybe for local computer builders, who will be able to ship boxes with Starter edition easilly.

As for end users, why would they pay for crippled edition, when they can pirate the real thing.

Comment

I predict that a hacker crew will release a set a patches to put back some of the core features like peer networking and high resolution.
          P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

less capacity for multitasking
            What, did they move back to the Windows 3.x's level of multitasking?
            Last edited by Jon P. Inghram; 11 August 2004, 20:47.

Comment

wow,
              how much time and effort did it take to recompile this 'lite' version , just to be able to charge less for it??
              Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

It's not cost effective for them to have done anything major. I think that whatever they did must be very superficial and can probably be easily undone.

Comment

this is the msot stupid thing i have ever heard...

Comment

actually. come to think of it, maybe it'd work in 3rd world countries where monitors won't go to 1024x768.

Maybe countries like India or something...

Comment

MS Bob was dumber!

Comment

Originally posted by schmosef
                        MS Bob was dumber!
                        M$ Bob was dumb, M arsecasting was dumber
                        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

silly
                          If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

This is so dumb...

less capacity for multitasking... User can run only 3 programs... Horrible... Whoever thought of that should be shot...

Comment

Maybe they worked out some sort of deal like they used to have with Dell, HP, etc, where all PCs shipped required a license, not just the ones with Windows installed on them.

If so, the Asian OEMs are probably paying very little for these licenses and MS has effectively shut out the competition.

Comment

Working...
                              X