Headphones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headphones

My Sennheiser HD-570's finally died. The drivers are still good, but the plastic is borked and the wiring is jacked up. I've been looking at some new headphones and thought I'd ask for some recommendations.

I'm looking for a good, audiophile headphone. I've been so spoiled with my HD-570's I don't think I could ever use something of lesser quality. My current front runner is the Sennheiser HD-595. It's a new model this year, replacing the HD-590:

The only down side to these is the price: $295 USD MSRP (though I'll probably get them for $250). Id' love to get as HD-600 or HD-650, but those are way out of budget.

I've thought of going with a cheaper Sennheiser, like the new HD-555 (replaced my old HD-570's in the 500 series), or possibly moving over to a Grado. Anyone have some recommendations?

Jammrock

PS - the Sennheiser Orpheus is out of the question, too. Though I'd love to listen to one.
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

I am currently using these:

Etymotic Research, Inc. is an engineering-driven research, development and manufacturing company.

I'm gonna get a headphone amp to go along with it, but I've been "going to get one" for over two years now

Comment

My Beyerdynamic DT-990's are wasted away too (need to contact them sometime shortly)... need new ear cushions head trap only... anywho earlier this week was on thier website and noticed they have a "new and improved" DT-990 series 2 that may be worth a try.
      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

I think Sennheisers' parts are replaceable. At least my HD500 is advertised so. It may worth a try to check yours also.

Comment

Not the parts that broke on mine. I've checked their site

Comment

Factory refurb maybe?
            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock
              Not the parts that broke on mine. I've checked their site
              Contact them directly.
              "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Just decided to take this opportunity for an upgrade. Ordered me a pair of Sennheiser HD-595's over the weekend. They are on backorder for 2-3 weeks. Hopefully I'll have them within a month.

The HD-570's are discontinued, so getting spare parts would probably be costly or hard, or both. It's okay, though, my 570's served me well

Jammrock

Comment

any excuse for an upgrade!
                  The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Always! Now all I need is for Sennhieser to get off their arses and make more HD-595's! They're on back order worldwide.

Jammrock

Comment

Damn my HD570 died today (right side has no sound anymore), but luckily it's still under warranty (still 1 month of warranty ).
                      Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
                      Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
                      Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

If it's the same as mine, the connector inside the headphone got bent when the cord got yanked out. I'd suggest getting warranty on it quick, Sennheiser is backlogged with new product rollout.

Jammrock

Comment

Returned it to the shop today. It will be shipped back to sennheiser for repair, sadly it will take approxiametly 2 weeks.
                          Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
                          Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
                          Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

Just be prepared for longer. At least in the US the reapir time is up to 4 weeks or more. I ordered my HD-595's 3 weeks ago and my shop stil doesn't have any in.

Jammrock

Comment

Jammrock, I'm dreaming about a pair of 595, please post a review once you have the time
                              "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

Working...
                              X