Three-legged Tripod for both Camcorder and Camera

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Three-legged Tripod for both Camcorder and Camera

I like to pick up a strong tripod to use for both the camcorder and the camera.
    Both camera and camcorder seems to have the same size hole on the bottom for the tripod but I should try it out first at a local store (Ritz).

Should I invest in a $50-$80 tripod or is it a waste of a money for such a low-end tripod? I am looking for something in mediocre size that I can carry along and take group pictures once in awhile and take videos.
    What I Did For Love
    Cerritos College Cal Poly Pomona San Luis Obispo Kwak KCCC

It's probably a waste.

Of course, most of my experience is with the expensive stuff professionals use (not mine - I can't afford it ).

I have a Bogen/Manfrotto 3021 with their postol grip ball head with quick release. (# 3265, I believe)

This tripod is rated to support 6.6 pounds, which is plenty for a modern camera (though not a pro grade video camera). Note that a pro tripod will be rated for what it can hold with essentially perfect rigidity. You can just about sit on this tripod without it buckling (in fact, Lester Bogen used to do that for his magazine ads).

The advantage to a more pro system is that you can mix and match legs and heads. Get a decent set of legs, and 2 heads - one for video (with the long handles on the back, and viscous damping) and one for photo (a geared head or ball head like mine).

It is more expensive though - the 3021+3265 combo is $222.95 at B&H.

It can be hard to spend the extra dough when a Velbon or Slik is $35 at Ritz, but the quality difference is amazing.

- Steve

Comment

I have an older Velbon VX (VX was the pro-series, I got it from my grandfather ). It is a great tripod, but being large (full height = approx. 1m80) and all-aluminium, it wheighs a lot (approx. 5 kg, compare this to the newer carbon-fibre tripods ).
      So carrying it with you becomes a problem, but it is extremely stable and can handle heavy cameras.

As an extension, I bought a Manfrotto quickrelease, and it is much more comfortable (and safer : less risk of dropping the camera) to work with a quick release.

Personally, I feel that portability and stability are two opposites... But either way: the price difference does reflect the quality difference in most tripods...

Jörg
      pixar
      Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

I prefer four-legged tripods myself.

And I myself am a two-footed biped.

Comment

Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
          [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

If you buy a cheap-ish tripod, make sure the mounting plate is level - I bought a cheap tripod, and I can't get level indoor shots, because the damn thing is a constructional defect.

AZ
            There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

You have to extend all three legs...

Jörg
              pixar
              Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

I do, and the bubble level indicates that the tripod is level (it IS where the bubble level is mounted). Unfortunately, the quickrelease is mounted above (video head ), and the video head is NOT level. Stupid thing.

AZ
                There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Working...
                X