Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Pentium 4 CPU over Athlon for video editing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Pentium 4 CPU over Athlon for video editing?

I am using an old AMD Athlon 1200 CPU and I can upgrade to about 2600 Athlon CPU.

But before I do that, are Athlon cpu recommended for video editing (and the softwares)?
    Or would I have no problem with Athlon CPU?

Or would it be better to invest in a new motherboard and a Pentium 4 CPU?
    What I Did For Love
    Cerritos College Cal Poly Pomona San Luis Obispo Kwak KCCC

i think as long as you stay away from via chipset you should be fine.. althoughi still dont feel comfortable switching to AMD casue i use Avid... a very, very, very picky editing suite... but its one of the best IMHO
    "They say that dreams are real only as long as they last. Couldn't you say the same thing about life?"

Comment

Well considering all the problems Intel is having with their Prescott P4 core and accompanying PCI-Express chipsets I'd highly reccomend staying away from those... so its either try to find a P4 Northwood or keep/upgrade your AMD system. I haven't done much ivdeo editing so I can't say how the software acts on those systems.

Comment

if u wana reduce cost, dump in a 2500+ w/266MHz FSB which may be hard to find (ur motherboard i'd think only allow a 266MHz FSB). It will definitely give u speed boost. Instead of wasting money on a brand new shinny mobo, maybe get some ram?

Comment

Originally posted by rylan
          Well considering all the problems Intel is having with their Prescott P4 core and accompanying PCI-Express chipsets I'd highly reccomend staying away from those... so its either try to find a P4 Northwood or keep/upgrade your AMD system. I haven't done much ivdeo editing so I can't say how the software acts on those systems.
          i thouht the PCIe problems where restricted to the nacona platform....?
          "They say that dreams are real only as long as they last. Couldn't you say the same thing about life?"

Comment

I read about another one that effects their server based chipset for the Xeon platform. Intel was sending out notices with the northbridge to not use the pci express slots due to a bug with the memory interface that can hang the system... not something you'd want on a server board huh.

Comment

Originally posted by rylan
              I read about another one that effects their server based chipset for the Xeon platform. Intel was sending out notices with the northbridge to not use the pci express slots due to a bug with the memory interface that can hang the system... not something you'd want on a server board huh.
              Ack! Where did you read this? I was about to order a Xeon system tomorrow, and we use PCI-X heavily at work. Got a link or something?
              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

PCI-X isn't PCI-E.
                Matrox G4x0 32mb SG RAM DVI

Comment

Hehhehe... here we go again. They really screwed things up with those names.

Comment

Re: Intel Pentium 4 CPU over Athlon for video editing?

The answer is yes. Read this thread to see what I've done.
                    <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Oops. I just had that server on my mind.

Crap, I liked it better when they called it 3GIO.
                      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

but isent the PCIe problem restricted to boards using DDR2 only?

Comment

I have this link, can't find my other links but there were two other articles on it also.

Yes it only effect the PCI-Express slots, and not the PCI-X 100/133 slots that most people would use for servers. Actually I have no idea why somebody would use a pci-express 1x slot over a PCI-X 100/133 slot anyway.

Comment

here's my $0.02.

If you are doing serious audio/video editing, get rid of the Athlon. Athlons have always been notoriously slow at AV editing. But you have more than 1 option for upgrading.

P4's are usually considered the CPU of choice (Macs aside) for AV editing. You don't have to go Prescott with PCIe. The sweet spot these days is the P4 2.8 GHz. That will probably triple or quadruple your current editing speeds.

If you want to stay in the AMD camp, you have 2 options these days. The Athlon 64's run just about as fast as the P4's in most AV editing. You can pick up an Athlon 63 2800+ (sweet spot) and mobo for a bit less than a P4, or for a bit more, grab the 3000+, which is a sweet chip.

The new option is the AMD Sempron 3100+. Do not get anything but the Sempron 3100+ as that is currently the only K8 core Sempron. The Sempron is basically a 32-bit only Athlon 64. But if you don't plan on going to 64-bit with the system, then there's no problem. The Sempron is every bit as fast as a P4, faster than an Athlon XP, and only a hair slower than the Athlon 64 3000+.

That's my opnion...

Jammrock
                            “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                            –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Working...
                            X