PDA

View Full Version : What will XP SP2 break?

Fat Tone
10th August 2004, 01:13
Assuming I get up the courage to apply SP2, what is it gonna break for me?

I generally use mainstream apps, nothing too esoteric.

VJ
10th August 2004, 01:47
It complained that my virussoftware was out of date, but actually, my system date was set in september... (oops) It also wants to turn on automatic updates (I have set it to 'notify' instead of doing things fully automatic - it gives notify a condition 'orange' :))

You might want to check the firewall: by default it is on, but 'file and printer sharing' is no exception and therefor also blocked. So I expect file and printer sharing not to work by default (either disable the firewall, or set it as an exception).

Oh, it also installs Media Player 9. So, while I'm not sure if that will break anything, it might alter your file type associations... :rolleyes:

Apart from that, my machine is still running...
(the update does take a while, and after reboot the screen is black with only a mouse cursor for a relatively long time)

Jörg

VJ
10th August 2004, 02:39
Oh, be aware it takes up quite a lot of space (300+ MB) on drive C: ! (it backs things up in a compressed NTFS folder, you don't have the option not to do this)

Jörg

Fluff
10th August 2004, 03:03
It takes a while to install too... took 30 mins on my machine.

Ribbit
10th August 2004, 03:15
I've heard a rumour it breaks Mozilla - though even if that's true the Moz guys will surely have an update out quickly.

SpiralDragon
10th August 2004, 03:40
dling now

DGhost
10th August 2004, 04:53
Originally posted by Ribbit
I've heard a rumour it breaks Mozilla - though even if that's true the Moz guys will surely have an update out quickly.

not that i've seen.

Media Player 9 checks associations when you start it up. you get the option of selecting which files it is associated to.

The new version of IE breaks a lot of ActiveX stuff. This is good.

I want to say it breaks stuff with RAS and RPC, but I am not positive...

schmosef
10th August 2004, 04:56
Originally posted by DGhost
The new version of IE breaks a lot of ActiveX stuff. This is good.I assumed it just changed some defaults in the internet security zone level definitions (a la windows 2003). Like not running unsigned activex by default.

Is it that or did it actually break something in the activex model?

DGhost
10th August 2004, 05:01
truthfully, probably nothing major. it does, however, have some new settings that allow you to control if it should download both signed and unsigned ActiveX controls (note: this is different from installing them) that tend to break webpages that assume it will automatically download and at least prompt you to install the code. by default it will prompt you to download signed ActiveX and it won't download unsigned.

Fat Tone
10th August 2004, 05:02
I'd be totally screwed if Outlook Web Access were affected!

VJ
10th August 2004, 05:44
It did seem to break my Miranda IM client (I use it for MSN). Deleting the MSN contact with whom the issues occured and adding him back solved the issues...
(not sure if this was SP2 related)

Jörg

Byock
10th August 2004, 07:23
No problems here. Mozilla works fine, VPN connection still works, no issues. :up:

schmosef
10th August 2004, 07:56
So does anyone who's installed notice an improvement?

Byock
10th August 2004, 08:43
Not really. Seems about the same to me.

The PIT
10th August 2004, 09:34
No performance improvements. Big advantage is that you won't to re-install all those blasted patches. Of course this advantage will disappear within three months.

William
10th August 2004, 11:05
Originally posted by schmosef
So does anyone who's installed notice an improvement?

Oh yes :D Tablet PC user over here loves the new tablet features -just as good as was promised.

Greebe
10th August 2004, 13:47
Works fine here with Firefox 0.9.3

But installed that bloody autostartup Windows Security Center I don't want or need

cjolley
10th August 2004, 14:16
Does the firewall thing mean I'm going to have to forgo remote desktop and drag stuff all around our office to hook keyboard, mouse, and monitor to our mini fileserver to do the upgrade?

Chuck

ayoub_ibrahim
10th August 2004, 14:29
just installed it on my laptop but did it using a slipstreamed cd version using the repair install option.
windows folder increased by 20Mb in size (xp home).
how do I turn off the security suite option which shows up asking me to turn automatic updates back on?

Greebe
10th August 2004, 15:39
Originally posted by cjolley
Does the firewall thing mean I'm going to have to forgo remote desktop and drag stuff all around our office to hook keyboard, mouse, and monitor to our mini fileserver to do the upgrade?

Chuck From what I can tell no problem, you can have your cake and eat it too :)

schmosef
10th August 2004, 16:19
Originally posted by William
Oh yes :D Tablet PC user over here loves the new tablet features -just as good as was promised.

I'm sorry, I'm not aware of any improvments to the tablet PC edition. Are you on the level or are you making a joke?

If there are improvements to the tablet PC environment, can somebody point me to a link that details them?

VJ
11th August 2004, 01:07
Messages in Microsoft Outlook are not sent immediately in Windows XP Service Pack 2

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=883606

Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem

Jörg

VJ
11th August 2004, 01:09
Originally posted by ayoub_ibrahim
just installed it on my laptop but did it using a slipstreamed cd version using the repair install option.
windows folder increased by 20Mb in size (xp home).
how do I turn off the security suite option which shows up asking me to turn automatic updates back on?
In the security center, on the left colum there are a number of options. The bottom one is how security center should give notifications and which it should give...

Jörg

Greebe
11th August 2004, 01:51
Originally posted by VJ
In the security center, on the left colum there are a number of options. The bottom one is how security center should give notifications and which it should give...

Jörg

uncheck each (3) and it won't load @ startup

I had the same issue, this solved it :)

KvHagedorn
11th August 2004, 02:18
If it ain't broke..

ZokesPro
11th August 2004, 03:46
Installed SP2 on my pirated windows system, and aside from an error at the very end (rebooted and it's working great) I haven't seen any problems. Seems to be a tad quicker all around, programs close quicker when you shut then down.

And to think that MS was supposed to have security features so that SP2 couldn't be installed on pirated systems, ha! :devious:

GT98
11th August 2004, 04:53
Originally posted by ZokesPro

And to think that MS was supposed to have security features so that SP2 couldn't be installed on pirated systems, ha! :devious:

My copy of winxp on my main system had a beta of SP2 on it and I went to try the windows update and it told me I had a priated key...I put the real SP2 on it works like a charm...go figure

High_Jumbllama
11th August 2004, 05:14
Patched it on my machine at work. I just now have to pick a guinea pig to actually use it that'll put it through the usual hell to see if it breaks.

I was trying to check the various patches I collected to see if any still apply but WIndows Update Catalog is messed up for some reason with what is listed for all versions of XP and SP2 is not a choice on the security bulletin search yet. For the Catalog it looks like they took out everything for the previous version and put in some of the things for SP2 into all versions. :confused:

rylan
11th August 2004, 05:23
I heard it breaks the corporate versions of Symantec Antivirus unless you find and install some obscure patch. Anyone know if this is true?

schmosef
11th August 2004, 05:43
Originally posted by rylan
I heard it breaks the corporate versions of Symantec Antivirus unless you find and install some obscure patch. Anyone know if this is true? Oh that would suck. That's the only anti-virus tool I can stand.

Tjalfe
11th August 2004, 06:29
Well I found SP2 to break my copy of Xilinx ISE 6.2isp3, the VHDL compiler I use at work. it crashes every time I ask it to compile. Uninstalling SP2 makes it compile again :(

William
11th August 2004, 07:11
I'm very serious about the improvements for Tablets. This is the long awaited "Lonestar" patch; which is officially called Windows XP Tablet PC edition 2005 (no; I don't why 2005 either). Basically, it's a new TIP; with easier correction; and learned more different handwriting styles (it now understands my curly "x"). It's enough change to make you wish that this TIP had been there since day one.

Found a URL
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/tabletpc/evaluation/lonestar/default.mspx

Byock
11th August 2004, 07:37
Symantec Corporate Anti Virus 7.5 here, and no problems with SP2...

cjolley
11th August 2004, 08:47
It broke Pivot Pro at work. :mad:
I am spoiled by having a single 18" FP landscape and 2 19" FP portrate to program on.
The 19s look funny turned back landscape and with all the text I have to look at it's just not as handy.
I'm going to have to think about uninstalling it.
Chuck

Wombat
11th August 2004, 09:04
Originally posted by KvHagedorn
If it ain't broke.. ...it ain't Windows.

High_Jumbllama
11th August 2004, 19:03
There's entries in Windows Update Catalog for various Windows 2000 SP5 flavors. Hmm . . . . . .

Anyone know if the Euro Conversion Tool and Movie Maker 2.0 still apply to XP SP2?

Fat Tone
13th August 2004, 01:58
From the BBC:

SP2 KNOWN ISSUES
Conflicts with LaCie Firewire 800 drives
Causes problems with SQL Server 2000 and Microsoft CRM 1.2
Could break net tools that use raw sockets
Microsoft Systems Management Server Remote Tools cannot remotely manage clients running SP2
SP2 firewall disables Client Push Installation
SP2 users must update to Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer 1.2.1

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3557952.stm

VJ
13th August 2004, 02:02
I read somewhere that it breaks FireWire800, reverting the bus speed to 100 Mbps. Any truth to this claim ?

Jörg

Fat Tone
13th August 2004, 02:11
The link above says Lacie have produced a new firmware to fix it, but I doon't know how widespread the problem is.

Maggi
13th August 2004, 04:38
SP2 did break Aladdin's HASP drivers for good and scheduled an update for "beginning of september"

:rolleyes:

KvHagedorn
13th August 2004, 06:34
You're listing all the stuff it breaks.. so what does it supposedly FIX? It never fails to amaze me how people go running all excitedly after a Winblows "update" like so many lemmings. Calm down and wait to see if you really need this.

bERNIE
13th August 2004, 06:44
Looks like there are serious issues with SP2 & Prescott CPU's combined with machines only having SATA HD's. Guess what combination I have?

Regards,

John.

Maggi
13th August 2004, 06:58
You're listing all the stuff it breaks.. so what does it supposedly FIX? It never fails to amaze me how people go running all excitedly after a Winblows "update" like so many lemmings. Calm down and wait to see if you really need this.

that's no riddle to me, simply consider the "flakeyness" of Microsoft OSs and that MS "strongly recommends" installing all released patches, fixes and updates

they even suggest to use "automatic windows updates" to avoid any possible delay in updating and/or fixing any vulnerabilities and flaws

unfortunately, none of our major apps are successfully ported to Linux just yet, so I'm stuck between a rock and a really hard place ... :ermm:

DGhost
13th August 2004, 07:06

List of fixes included in Windows XP Service Pack 2 (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;811113)
Changes to Functionality in Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/sp2chngs.mspx)

Maggi
13th August 2004, 07:26
whoa ... :eek:

I guess, by the time I finished reading all those notes, SP3 might be close to going gold ... :D

tonny
13th August 2004, 08:15
Anyone tried slipstreaming SP2 using a Windows 2000 machine? I have tried on 2 here and on both update.exe give a "Memory could not be read" error.
I wanted to switch Windows 2000 with XP once SP2 was out, but I guess I won't be doing that anytime soon :)

xortam
13th August 2004, 09:27
I see they added Bluetooth support. Does anyone know if I can now boot up my PC using my Logitech Bluetooth keyboard? I've got to finish up some more testing before I install the new SP.

Elie
13th August 2004, 10:25
One annoyance I have noticed is IE's popup blocker!!!!

If you enable it and click on a website which contains a popup, it won't even open that link :mad: Arrrg, I alway have to right click and open in new window.

Any suggestions?

My blocker was set to high, I just downscled to medium to see if tht fixes the problem.

Regards,
Elie

cjolley
13th August 2004, 10:33
Well, I found one thing fixed.

I have 3 monitors at work driven by a GF 5200 and a Matrox G450 dualhead dvi pci card.

Befor the update I had to run the G450 using the analog only dualhead drivers because one or the other of the Matrox or NVidia drivers would f-up depending on how they were installed.

However, now I can run my central monitor using the G450's dvi output.

This is a good thing.
Now if I could just get the Pivot Pro software to work again...:mad:

Chuck

The PIT
13th August 2004, 10:41
Had to disable DEP on one machine.

Sadly just telling svhost is causing problems doesn't tell which program it is. :(

DGhost
13th August 2004, 11:29
are you sure that the box wasn't infected with any worms/trojans/viruses?

The PIT
13th August 2004, 12:15
Originally posted by DGhost
are you sure that the box wasn't infected with any worms/trojans/viruses?

Yup unless it's a new one.

Larc
13th August 2004, 15:04
SP2 or DirectX 9c that it installs broke MPG viewing on WMP on one of my computers. That's the one with a G400. I get sound with no problem, but no video. :(

High_Jumbllama
13th August 2004, 19:36
THis would not be acceptable but try going into the options for Media Player to the Performance tab and turn off the hardware acceleration and see if the video plays. If it it does it is likely DX 9.0c. Worth a shot.

Jammrock
13th August 2004, 19:43
WinXP SP2 broke some of my Palm sync functionality. I can't sync my Audible.com audio books :( I'll need to do some digging to find out which part broke.

Jammrock