What will XP SP2 break?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What will XP SP2 break?

Assuming I get up the courage to apply SP2, what is it gonna break for me?

I generally use mainstream apps, nothing too esoteric.
    FT.

It complained that my virussoftware was out of date, but actually, my system date was set in september... (oops) It also wants to turn on automatic updates (I have set it to 'notify' instead of doing things fully automatic - it gives notify a condition 'orange' )

You might want to check the firewall: by default it is on, but 'file and printer sharing' is no exception and therefor also blocked. So I expect file and printer sharing not to work by default (either disable the firewall, or set it as an exception).

Oh, it also installs Media Player 9. So, while I'm not sure if that will break anything, it might alter your file type associations...

Apart from that, my machine is still running...
    (the update does take a while, and after reboot the screen is black with only a mouse cursor for a relatively long time)

Jörg
    Last edited by VJ; 10 August 2004, 01:51.
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Oh, be aware it takes up quite a lot of space (300+ MB) on drive C: ! (it backs things up in a compressed NTFS folder, you don't have the option not to do this)

Jörg
      pixar

Comment

It takes a while to install too... took 30 mins on my machine.

Comment

I've heard a rumour it breaks Mozilla - though even if that's true the Moz guys will surely have an update out quickly.
          Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

dling now
            "They say that dreams are real only as long as they last. Couldn't you say the same thing about life?"

Comment

Originally posted by Ribbit
              I've heard a rumour it breaks Mozilla - though even if that's true the Moz guys will surely have an update out quickly.
              not that i've seen.

Media Player 9 checks associations when you start it up. you get the option of selecting which files it is associated to.

The new version of IE breaks a lot of ActiveX stuff. This is good.

I want to say it breaks stuff with RAS and RPC, but I am not positive...
              "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Originally posted by DGhost
                The new version of IE breaks a lot of ActiveX stuff. This is good.
                I assumed it just changed some defaults in the internet security zone level definitions (a la windows 2003). Like not running unsigned activex by default.

Is it that or did it actually break something in the activex model?
                P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

truthfully, probably nothing major. it does, however, have some new settings that allow you to control if it should download both signed and unsigned ActiveX controls (note: this is different from installing them) that tend to break webpages that assume it will automatically download and at least prompt you to install the code. by default it will prompt you to download signed ActiveX and it won't download unsigned.
                  "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

I'd be totally screwed if Outlook Web Access were affected!
                    FT.

Comment

It did seem to break my Miranda IM client (I use it for MSN). Deleting the MSN contact with whom the issues occured and adding him back solved the issues...
                      (not sure if this was SP2 related)

Jörg
                      pixar

Comment

No problems here. Mozilla works fine, VPN connection still works, no issues.
                        "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

So does anyone who's installed notice an improvement?
                          P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

Not really. Seems about the same to me.
                            "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

No performance improvements. Big advantage is that you won't to re-install all those blasted patches. Of course this advantage will disappear within three months.
                              Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
                              X