X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How good (or lame) is Via kt800 chipset

Hi

I'm planning to go back to AMD.
    I want to get a socket 939 mobo. The only one available here in Canuck country now are the Via based one.
    Since I had problem with every Via board I have before (FIC MPV3 board,Asus A7V and 2 MSI kt133 and 133a board), i was wondering how were they doing now in term of stability and compatibility. Should I wait for the n-force3 one to be available here ?

Thanks
    Athlon64 4800+
    Asus A8N deluxe
    2 gig munchkin ddr 500
    eVGA 7800 gtx 512 in SLI
    X-Fi Fatality
    HP w2207

nforce 4 should be available 4th quarter with PCI Express.. may be something to wait for, if you current computer can carry you that far
    We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

It seems it performs very well and is quite reliable. I can't say much about PCI performance , but it is the first via chipset I would recomend for a long time...

Our dual opteron server at work uses it and has been solid (msi k8t master2 far)

Comment

yes, nforce 4 is coming, and it will have sound storm 2

Comment

I have an Asus A8V.

The good: Extremely stable, very fast,.

The bad: There is a new revision out that I don't think has made it to the public yet. I have AGP/PCI lock option on my mobo that doesn't work. With the new revised chipset, it works. I'd wait to make sure you get that chipset.

For more info, check out this article at Anand: http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2128

Pay particular attention to the update in the article.

Oh, and a few tips...You have to change your memory timings with A64 chips. For instance, if you have 222, you have to use 232, if you have 233, use 243, etc...

I had a stability problem with my 9700Pro. Turning off fastwrites and changing to AGP4X solved my problems. with no performance loss.

Oh! and don't forget to set 2T (memory option in BIOS) to disabled to gain signficant performance.

Dave
          Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Even if the chipset works Via will probably get you with it's drivers.

Bad releases in the past have hosed peoples os.

Keep clear and go with SIS if you can or Nvidea and use ms drivers unless they've fixed there driver problems.

If you want adventure go with Via they rarely fail to disappoint.
            Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
            Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

No-one's mentioned AMD yet...
              Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

Originally posted by Ribbit
                No-one's mentioned AMD yet...

Not really in the chipset market which is sad really.
                Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Originally posted by Helevitia
                  I had a stability problem with my 9700Pro. Turning off fastwrites and changing to AGP4X solved my problems. with no performance loss.

Dave [/B]
                  This is what worries me a little, these are little thing that get annoying sometimes. Is it rock-stable? I mean no crash once in a while.

Martin
                  Athlon64 4800+
                  Asus A8N deluxe
                  2 gig munchkin ddr 500
                  eVGA 7800 gtx 512 in SLI
                  X-Fi Fatality
                  HP w2207

Comment

wouldn't a KT800 Pro be a better choice?
                    Main Machine: Intel Q6600@3.33, Abit IP-35 E, 4 x Geil 2048MB PC2-6400-CL4, Asus Geforce 8800GTS 512MB@700/2100, 150GB WD Raptor, Highpoint RR2640, 3x Seagate LP 1.5TB (RAID5), NEC-3500 DVD+/-R(W), Antec SLK3700BQE case, BeQuiet! DarkPower Pro 530W

Comment

as long as you don't have BT878 based TV / capture card, I have nothing bad to say about KT880. Asus K7V880 has been proved to be excelent motherboard. No any signs of any PCI performance isues nor IDE isues. Integrated Audio (AD1888 chip) is so good that I haven't installed my Philips Seismic Edge at all. (I use S/P DIF Coaxial output, but the analog seemed to be also ok, when I quickly tested it.)

at least Asus board has a compability issue with Hercules Smart TV Stereo, (this was checked by Asus taiwan rep at Assembly 2004.) so I need to find a newer chip based TV-card. otherwise, the Motherboard has been excelent quality.
                      "Dippadai"

Comment

Originally posted by jackzod
                        This is what worries me a little, these are little thing that get annoying sometimes. Is it rock-stable? I mean no crash once in a while.

Martin
                        No crashes at all, ever. No glitches, no weird things that I'm not sure about, nothing. Seriously, I am not exagerating. It is that stable for me. I am running the latest hyperion drivers as well with a BETA BIOS. I've tried both an Audigy and the onboard sound without any problems. Currently, I am running the onboard sound (since I sold my audigy).

Something else I thought of though. I have read that some people are having problems with the Promise SATA RAID controller, but since I am running IDE, I can't comment.

Dave
                        Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Originally posted by Nappe1
                          as long as you don't have BT878 based TV / capture card, I have nothing bad to say about KT880. Asus K7V880 has been proved to be excelent motherboard. No any signs of any PCI performance isues nor IDE isues. Integrated Audio (AD1888 chip) is so good that I haven't installed my Philips Seismic Edge at all. (I use S/P DIF Coaxial output, but the analog seemed to be also ok, when I quickly tested it.)

at least Asus board has a compability issue with Hercules Smart TV Stereo, (this was checked by Asus taiwan rep at Assembly 2004.) so I need to find a newer chip based TV-card. otherwise, the Motherboard has been excelent quality.
                          You mean they still haven't fixed the BT878 problem or have they re-introduced it?

Pci bandwidth is a question that Dr M could answer.
                          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Originally posted by The PIT
                            You mean they still haven't fixed the BT878 problem or have they re-introduced it?

Pci bandwidth is a question that Dr M could answer.
                            it looks like to be PnP problem more than a chipset. DScaler works fine, but driver install causes the windows crash when allocating resources. (this is also the case if I install the drivers in safe mode: when the windows boots up and tries to allocate resources for drivers, it crashes.)

the thing is that with my KT133A based MSI mobo same card worked flawlessly.

and what comes to PCI bandwidth, all those problems I had with the KT133A are gone.
                            "Dippadai"

Comment

Working...
                            X