Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USB capture question

Folks:

I am in the process of purchasing a high end Gateway notebook for the purpose of video capturing and editing. I am planning on using a Hauppage external USB 2.0 captre device and writing the captured video to an external HDD. My question is whether USB 2.0 is robust enough to handle both devices at the same time. By that, I mean that the capture device will be capturing via USB and writing to the USB HDD at the same time. Will the USB 2.0 be able to handle this or should I look to a Firewire HDD and a USB capture device?

Thanks for the input!

If you manage to capture from a USB2 capture device to an USB2 hdd we will have to watch out for low flying pigs

You might have a chance of succses with a firewire hdd and a USB2 capture device, but thats a big might....

Best in your situation with a laptop would be to use FW for both the HDD and the capture device
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Thanks for the reply....I don done some fairly extensive research on the net and the Hauppage WinTV-PVR-usb2 gets some really good reviews on capture capabilities. Do you know of anything any different?

Can you make a recommendation on a portable Firewire capture device?

Thanks!

Comment

I bought a MSI VOX USB2 TV tuner and capture box the other week. Big mistake. The audio and video I discovered are on seperate feeds causing audio sinc issues with any resolution higher than half DVD. The CPU also runs at 95% on a P4. 2.4 Gig Win2K system.. If you do get one make sure that the audio and video are muxed together over the USB2 and prerable that it has an on board MPEG2 encoder. Pity they don't make a Firewire version of these devoces..
        paulw

Comment

Watch out for low flying pigs

Originally posted by Technoid
          If you manage to capture from a USB2 capture device to an USB2 hdd we will have to watch out for low flying pigs

You might have a chance of succses with a firewire hdd and a USB2 capture device, but thats a big might....

Best in your situation with a laptop would be to use FW for both the HDD and the capture device
          I capture all the time from an ADS USB Instant DVD 2.0 device to an external USB2 Hard drive on the same computer. Works great, and I've captured up to 9mbps (it can go as high as 15mbps, but I haven't gone that high). The device captures BOTH video and audio via the USB connection (i.e. no separate audio connection into the sound card).

I also capture from the Instant DVD 2.0 to an external Firewire hard drive -- no problems there either.

Some of my computer specs:
          AMD XP 2200+
          512mb DDR PC2100
          Win2K Prof SP4
          USB 2.0 PCI Card (adds 5 USB2 ports)
          Biostar BIOS (I forget my mobo)
          I've got external Firewire and USB 2.0 drives (enclosures that I just put my own hard drive into).

Regards,
          George
          Last edited by cDynamics; 9 August 2004, 15:08.

Comment

Okay, you convinced me
            I'll get a hard-hat and a shotgun; those Flying pigs aren’t going to find me unprepared
            If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Go to videohelp.com and in the capture card review section you will quickly find that the (firewire) Canopus ADVC devices get rave reviews, far more so than any other outboard analog capture device. Particularly impressive are the repeated reports of simple, trouble-free operation.
              Intel TuC3 1.4 | 512MB SDRAM | AOpen AX6BC BX/ZX440 | Matrox Marvel G200 | SoundBlaster Live! Value | 12G/40G | Pioneer DVR-108 | 2 x 17" CRTs

Comment

The Canopus ADVC boxes are among the best you can get. They capture to DV instead of MPEG, which makes their sources much more edit-able because while also compressed DV is less lossy. This makes the files larger, but less likely to artifact during effects, transitions etc.

Dr. Mordrid
                Dr. Mordrid
                ----------------------------
                An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
                X