Krondor in Windows XP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Krondor in Windows XP

I am trying to get this oldie to work in Windows XP. defenitely the best RPG of its time, and still a great game by modern standards IMO. Problem is that it is memory hungry and usually required a boot disk to work.. now with Windows XP, I am trying to fake 640K of conventional memory, along with 8M of both extended and expanded ( can't remember what the game wanted ) but it still fails with a not enough memory error.
    Do any of you know how to get this going in Windows XP, preferrably without a bootdisk

The game is freeware now, a promotional idea Sierra got when it released its sequel betrail in antara, which tanked.

We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

OMG, was that a great game!

When Sierra started to offer the DL for free, it was without the "movies".

The story how this game came about is pretty funny actually. The book was written after the game. Don't touch it.

I may try to see if I can get it to work, but I doubt it.
    Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
    [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

I'm guessing you already tried this? It was linked from your linked page.

Comment

With me it just does not run as yet.

I also remember Betrayal at Antara -> dog

Return to Krondor was OK-ish, but by far not even close to BAK.

Will continue to try when I can
        Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
        [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Originally posted by KvHagedorn
          I'm guessing you already tried this? It was linked from your linked page.

http://www.alt-tab.net/alt-tab/games/krondorhelp.asp
          Windows 98 help, not XP

Comment

Originally posted by Umfriend
            With me it just does not run as yet.

I also remember Betrayal at Antara -> dog

Return to Krondor was OK-ish, but by far not even close to BAK.

Will continue to try when I can
            I never did more than try out the demo of Antara, and I did not like it.. Return to Krondor was OK, but I never finished it.

Do you suppose it is possible to get custom Autoexec/config.sys files to go in WinXP that works with the game?

Comment

It's a dos game, right?

Then you should try Dosbox:

You can also try VMWare. With that you can install as many OS as you would like, while running your main OS.
              I am currently running with Windows XP as main OS + (via VMWare) Win98 and I will install Sun Solaris 10 within the next few days.

But for dos games, I highly recommend Dosbox.
              Laptops: ASUS G750JM: Intel Core i7 4700HQ, 8GB RAM (DDR3-1600), Nvidia GTX 860M, 1 x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD, 1 x WD 750 GB HDD, 17,3" FHD Screen, Windows 8.1 64-bit.
              ASUS Vivobook S400CA: Intel Core i5 3317U (1,7-2,6 GHz), 8 GB RAM (DDR3-1600), Intel HD4000, 1 x 500GB HDD, 14" touch-screen (1366x768), Windows 8.1 64-bit.

Comment

Originally posted by JTD
                It's a dos game, right?

Then you should try Dosbox:

You can also try VMWare. With that you can install as many OS as you would like, while running your main OS.
                I am currently running with Windows XP as main OS + (via VMWare) Win98 and I will install Sun Solaris 10 within the next few days.

But for dos games, I highly recommend Dosbox.

I just tried it, and it worked a charm... slow as hell, but it worked

Comment

It's a dos game, right?
                  Those were the good old days. When all you had to do to get rid of a program on your harddrive was to just delete the directory it was in.

Joel
                  Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
                  Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

For me the good old days were spent in smoke filled video game arcades.

Studio '89 in North York during the week and downtown to the Yonge and Dundas strip on the weekends.

I really enjoy being able to play many of those games on my PC today via emulation. Neo Geo games especially. Games like Metal Slug were designed to eat quarters (and they did!). This way, I finally get to play through to the end.
                    P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

Originally posted by tjalfe
                      I just tried it, and it worked a charm... slow as hell, but it worked
                      There's a key combination (ctrl+F10 or something) in dosbox that gives more cpu clocks to the program. That could speed things up. Not sure about the key though. Read dosbox's help or do some googleing as I don't have time at the moment to check it out, but the option is there...

Comment

I don't think I actually ever did get to Sarth...may give it another go

I did finish RTK as well. But as said, it just was not as good. The storyline was far more linear and you did not have the freedom of movement you had in BAK (especially in the first 3 chapters).

Comment

Working...
                        X