Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cable phone/telly/internet in the UK

Some questions for all you UK folks.

Looks like my new flat has a cable connection coming in and a disconnected BT line. Now I've only ever dealt with standard BT lines and terrestrial analogue TV before, so I am not sure entirely what this means.

1) The box coming into the flat says "Cable & Wireless" on it. I presume this means that it is now under NTL control?

2) What is broadband like over cable? Can I have a static IP (not required as such but would be nice - otherwise can use a dynamic DNS) and run my webserver like I was doing before on ADSL?

3) What's the deal with telly - say I want the minimum number of channels, do I need a set top box or something?

4) Phone - is it expensive?

Anything else I should know? Otherwise BT will reconnect the line for free and I can use an aerial for the TV as normal.

Thanks for you help

George
    DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

I have NTL phone, TV and Broadband, so can offer a little insight:

1) I think so...possibly old C&W customers cannot get the same range of services as NTL-original customers.

2) BB has been good for me. I get 750/128 for £25/month. The 1.5MB service is £38/month. But, see 1 above. Fixed IP is not possible. The modem has USB and Ethernet ports, so sharing is a doddle. Apparently hacking the modems is possible too.

3) Telly and phone are generally bundled. £20/month gets you phone-line rental and a decent bunch of channels, another £8/9 a month gets you the family pack which is basically everything except premium movie and sports channels. My folks only pay for the phone, but still have a STB that gets a few extra channels including Sky One.

4) Phone prices are 3,2,1 i.e. 3p/min peak, 2p evenings, 1p weekends. Calls are free to other local cable customers evening and weekends.

HTH

T.
    FT.

Comment

Oh and what about modems/routers etc with broadband? I already have a separate ADSL ethernet modem and router (without modem but with ethernet WAN port), so would a cable modem just be able to plug into my existing router?

Comment

Yes, just plug your router WAN port into the CM
        FT.

Comment

Thanks for your help Tony. However I have just checked with my postcode and house number on the ntl website and
          We're sorry but broadband is not available in your area
          So it looks like I will be getting BT to reconnect the line (broadband to be quite honest is more important than either telly or phone)

Might give ntl a call first to check.

Comment

NP. Check with Telewest too as they may have the contract for that area.
            FT.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion. Looked it up on the Telewest website though and
              The postcode you have entered is outside the Telewest Broadband cabled area. Unfortunately, this means it is not possible to offer you any of our services at present.

You may be in an area serviced by NTL. You can contact NTL directly via their website.

Comment

Ah well, looks like you'll be in BT's next advert: "last month, George came back"

Seriously though, being in London, you potentially have access to a lot of ADSL services not available elsewhere. You could possibly get SDSL, or 2Mbps or more. Check out Bulldog's offerings for example.
                FT.

Comment

Yup I am much more familiar with the ADSL/SDSL market... so no problems there.

Just spoken to NTL and they are upgrading my area for broadband "by the end of the year" - so I will look again then I think, but for now BT here I come (assuming they can actually re-connect!)

Comment

I thought you probably would be, I'm just jealous of all the options you have 'down there'
                    FT.

Comment

Working...
                    X