Clear All

• Top 20 Ways Microsoft Would Change The Auto Industry

Here

Actually, too true to be funny
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Sad
    "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

How many months do you suppose it will be before they try to take over that industry, too?

Teddy Roosevelt would have smacked Gates and Ballmer with his big stick upon assuming the presidency. Too bad no one works for small business or entrpreneurs anymore. The only way Bush acts like he protects small business is by refusing a minimum wage increase, the benefits of which is a giant load of bull.

Comment

Originally posted by KvHagedorn
        How many months do you suppose it will be before they try to take over that industry, too?
        Well, they did make an attempt at an AutoPC

but somehow it failed to take off...

Jörg
        pixar
        Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

As Will Smith would say, "Don't hate the player, hate the game."

The fact is that the automotive industry is much worse than the consumer OS industry.

Ever tried to get a straight answer from a mechanic? I have, it's even more worse than manual registry editing! You can spend thousands of dollars on a repair that they 'think' will solve your problem, even if it doesn't.

My Jeep cost $50+k ten years ago. Today, it's worth almost nothing. Why? Because it can't be serviced properly. I could elaborate but I think (hope) you know what I mean.

Windows might need to get re-installed from time to time but it always results in a fresh and clean enviroment. I don't know anyone who's had major engine repair and felt that their car ran "like new" again.

Chrysler has never offered me a 50% discount on a new model Jeep, just because they want to keep my business. It's acceptable to me to spend a few hundred dollars, every few years, for the latest and greatest OS (usually because my needs have changed too). But it's not acceptable to have to spend tens of thousands, on a new car, every few years (especially because my needs have not changed).

When I have a hardware problem with my computer, I don't have to spend upwards of $100 (for it to be probed) just to find out what component is acting up. Windows has lots of built-in mechanisms to help end users identify the sources of their problems.

And finally, as end-users, we have much more recourse with our PCs than we do with our cars. The car companies go out of their way to make it difficult for us to find out about known problems. For every model car there are potentially dozens of unofficial recalls. On non safety related issues, car companies often wait until a customer complains about a particular known issue before being willing to fix it. They hide this by telling the dealer to offer these repairs for free under the guise of customer loyalty discounts. And some dealers still charge consumers for these types of fixes because they have no way of knowing that the OEM is already paying for it. MS, on the other hand, through things like their support KB and MVP program, has worked to foster an active and vibrant user community that shares info on known problems and solutions. The closest equivalent we have for cars is the lemonaid show on local community cable.
          P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

Working...
          X