Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rt.x100 and Biostar M7VIW

Hello all.

Can anyone please confirm that they have used a Matrox RT.X100 with a Biostar M7VIW motherboard? I'd hate to spend $2000 on upgrades just to find out they won't play nicely together.

I have heard that AMD chips with Via southbridge chipsets are all incompatible with the Matrox, but their web site doesn't say that,
    so I'm still holding out hope.

Thanks.

--jim

You really need to ask this question here

This forum main pertains to Matrox Graphics, not their upper end video products.

I'll see what Doc M has to say (point him in this direction
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Greebe,

I appreciate the link, but they require a product serial number to register with the forum before posting. Since I haven't bought the card yet, I don't have that option.

--jim

Comment

that should be ok... I sent a PM to Doc M... he's a beta tester for Matrox Video products. He like I have Haig's ear (Matrox Tech Support manager) (but opted for the non pointy ones instead

Have no fear, help should be on the way shortly
        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

Comment

Originally posted by deathmonkey
          Greebe,

I appreciate the link, but they require a product serial number to register with the forum before posting. Since I haven't bought the card yet, I don't have that option.

--jim
          You should be able to post in the pre-sales forum without registering.
          Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Fantastic. I didn't see that forum before; thank you. Hopefully between that and the infamous Doc M someone will be able to at least give me odds on whether this will work. I shot a film three months ago and if I'm not editing it by next weekend I'm going to start cutting and splicing video tape.

--jim, hoping it doesn't come to that

Comment

Well, it's official: my VIA KT266 chipset is incompatible. I got the answer from the presales forum, so thanks to Greebe and gt40 for pointing me in that direction.

--jim

Comment

the SIS 745/748 chipsets MB do very well with the RT cards

This one will work fine...

Comment

Thanks Greebe, but I've already taken the plunge. I ordered an Asus P4P800 SE with a 2.8 Prescott last night. This'll be my first Intel chip in over a decade (and my first non-AMD in almost as long). I'm not happy about that, since AMDs have worked so well for me, but I'm not gonna spend $1000 on this RT.X100 and then risk it not running smoothly. Haivng to spend the extra money on MB/CPU/RAM is going to set my timeline back a little bit, but how much depends on just how much I really want it.....

--jim, pretending not to hear the credit cards calling

Comment

Originally posted by Greebe
                    the SIS 745/748 chipsets MB do very well with the RT cards

This one will work fine...
                    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...157-017&depa=0
                    seems that only the SIS 745 is on the recommended list

The following chipsets are incompatible for use with Matrox RT.X.
                    Manufacturer Chipset
                    NVIDIA (AMD)** nForce 2
                    SiS (AMD) 748
                    SiS (Intel) 648FX, 963L (South Bridge)
                    VIA (AMD)*** KT400, KT400A , KT600, K8T800
                    VIA (Intel)*** PT800
                    We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Interesting since mine is living happily in an K7S8XE, which is SiS 748 chipped. IMO the problem with the 748 boards Matrox tested was with a particular build of SiS's southbridge and not the 748 chipset per se.

BTW: sorry it took me so long to reply after getting Greebes heads-up, but I had to have more surgery on my infected left hand earlier this week.

Between a 5" unstitched wound (so as to let air hopefully help kill the infection....that and a s**t-load of Cipro), a bandage the size of a softball and enough painkillers to float a battleship I haven't been in any shape to post.

That and one-handed hunt & peck sucks

Dr. Mordrid
                      Dr. Mordrid
                      ----------------------------
                      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

well if it works fine on an SIS 748 based board, perhaps you should email Matrox and have them re check their list
                        We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Working...
                        X