SATA 12X PLextor DVD-RW released finally

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SATA 12X PLextor DVD-RW released finally

I hope the competition comes out with them soon so the price drops.

Dave
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Hm... Dabs have it for £125 inc. VAT but they have none in stock so I wonder how accurate that price is...
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

The retail price from Plextor's site is $209 so I'm assuming it is accurate.

Dave
      Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Anybody know what Plextors are like these days? I know that they held off on developing DVD for a long time, so I thought that they might be OEMing these, at least in part.
        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I hear they are just as good as they always were.

Comment

If you check out the reviews for the IDE version, they all love it.

712A

Comment

The Plextor CD burners are still solid as ever, so I'd assume the DVD burners rock also, as seen by the reviews. I recently got the Plextor Premium CDRW IDE drive and I'm extremely please with it. I wonder though, why bother with SATA for anything but a HD Raid setup? You're not going to get any better transfer rate out of a cd/dvd device, since they don't even get close to ATA100 link speed.

I'm debating the 712A that Helevitia mentioned. I kind of want to wait for Plextor to have dual layer burn capability though.

Comment

Simply for less cable clutter and easier installation.

Comment

A number of people who really should know have expressed doubts about new Plextors -most praise goes to Pioneer (particularly the 7 -apparently it produces a brilliant quality of CD)
                  MURC COC Minister of Wierd Confusion (MWC)

Comment

Smaller PCBs, fewer traces, and it will soon enough be the standard on motherboards.

Not to mention the increased cable length. So many times I've cursed as I just barely got from the MB IDE connector to the DVD drive.
                    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

My SCSI Plextor CD burner has been a champ (what is it? 2 or 3 years old now?). I haven't tried other than Panasonic DVD burners (-R and -RAM).

This new Plextor would be perfect if it was a slot. I still might go for it if its really quiet. I want to move my noisy Panasonic cart -RAM burner out of the HTPC and into an external box and use a black slot DVD player in the HTPC for movies. I'd pay extra for a black burner if need be and I might use the extra +R/RW capability some day. I use -R and -RAM on everything now (DVDR and HTPC). The S-ATA interface would be great as the smaller round cables are excellent for an HTPC. I'd love to see them start using thin fibre cables for interconnects to really improve airflow.
                      <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Originally posted by xortam
                        I'd love to see them start using thin fibre cables for interconnects to really improve airflow.
                        Yeah, but SFPs are still like $100 each.

Comment

Originally posted by xortam
                          This new Plextor would be perfect if it was a slot. I still might go for it if its really quiet.

I have the PX-708A, with it comes a program called 'Plextools', which allows you to limit the speed of the drive (and hence also reduce the noise). For what it is worth, my Plextor 708A is extremely quiet, much quieter than my Toshiba SD-M1612 (dvd-rom).

Jörg
                          pixar
                          Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

man, what is plextor smoking? lol

almost everybody has their first gen +R DL drivers on the market...

they have all these cool exclusive things like mt. rainier and SATA... but DL... i think the lack of DL will costs sales a bit...

now, having said that, i think the -R really need to catch up... maybe if they launch the -RW DL they will get back the edge...

Comment

Unless it is technologically superior, -R or -RW Double layer would be kind of pointless as the + Double Layers has been out for a while already.

Comment

Working...
                              X