X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• File Sync'ing Software Recommendation

got one?
    P.S. You've been Spanked!

Robocopy with the /mir option has been the most reliable for me, if you're doing a one way sync. Robocopy comes with the windows 2003 resource kit, which can be downloaded for free from microsoft. It's by far the best command line file copy utility I've ever seen.

If you're looking for bi-directional sync (ie. retain newest file from both locations) then I can't help ya.
    Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

rsync

Tried and true, and uses minimal bandwidth to keep you up to date.

If you're talking about two-way sync, then some kind of revision management tool, like cvs, may be the best bet.
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
        ... If you're talking about two-way sync, then some kind of revision management tool, like cvs, may be the best bet.
        Cracking a walnut with a hammer.

P.S. Thanks isochar ... I was going to start looking for just such SW for my new PC. I work off both my office and HTPC simultaneously now so I wanted to synch using my portable drive. And when I say portable, I mean it. A 60 GB 7500 RPM 2.5" laptop HDD in a tiny USB 2.0 box (power through USB). The little 60 GB box fits right in my front shirt pocket ... portable.
        Last edited by xortam; 3 August 2004, 17:10.
        <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Sorry guys,

I think I may have asked for the wrong thing. My laptop is starting to act up and I wanted to copy selected files and folders from it to another PC over my network. This is only a one time, one way thing. I think what I really need is a backup util. I guess I just had file sync'ing on the brain because a customer was asking me for a recommendation a few weeks ago.

The file sync'ing tools I've tried won't let me be as selective as I'd like.

What I would like is a program with a GUI that will lets me manually select files and folders in a tree view and then hit one button to copy them all to a chosen destination in one managed process. XPs built-in backup would be fine but it only wants to save to an archive format, not individual files. Am I wrong in thinging that an earlier version had this option?

Anyway, any advice for me now?
          P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

erm, what's wrong with drag and drop?????
            I guess you could use something like FlashXP (FTP client) if you wanted to create a queue...
            The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Take a look at SyncBack, it's free..

Software to protect your data, that works the way you want. Full support for all major cloud backups, versioning, scripting, compression, encryption and more.
              There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Comment

Working...
              X