probably a dumb question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• probably a dumb question

Ok, I probably just need to do 5 minutes of research to figure this out but does anyone know if there's PVR kit + software that's compatible with Rogers' Canadian digital cable service? OTA is very limited here. I'd love to be able to replace my crappy rented HD PVR box that needs constant rebooting but I still need all my Rogers channels (HDTV, etc.).

I remember seeing a Rogers rep on TV talk about how they wanted to allow people to buy their own set top boxes, instead of renting them, and I believe they now allow for this, but from what I know, you have to buy the specific Scientific Atlanta models that are pre configured for Rogers; you cannot go out and buy just any set top box.

So anyone with more info who isn't offended that I didn't to the research myself, please fill me in.
    P.S. You've been Spanked!

That depends. Is your cable all analog, all digital, or an analog/digital mix. Unless Roger's Cable supports the use of smart card readers in PCs, the answer is unfortunately no for anything digital. For analog all you need is a simple TV-tuner card.

Your best bet would be to call Roger's and ask them. Make sure you say you are a paying customer, and aren't trying to steal cable, you're just build your own PVR with a HTPC.

Jammrock
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

It's an analog/digital mix. And they're on a war path to kill the analog as quickly as possible.

They don't use smart cards in their set top boxes the way Satellite receivers do. Is that what you're asking about?

Comment

Actually, most, if not all, digital cable boxes do have a smart cards in them (like satellite does). They are usually in the back or hidden under a flap or casing on the front. Digital cable and satellite systems are very similar. The main difference is the delivery method.

Look around your cable box, I'm almost positive you'll find your smart card. Unless it's built-in within the box.

Jammrock

Comment

Oh, there's a smart card reader alright. There's just no smart card installed.

FYI, I've got a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8000HD. (More like Rebooter 8000HD).

Comment

I remember a Rogers rep talking about using the smart card readers eventually. I don't remember what for.

The more I think about it, the more I think it was to allow customers to provide their own STBs. We'd buy/rent the cards from Rogers and have the option of going elsewhere for the actual box. Right now, the only STBs you can buy are sold pre-configured for Rogers and you have to buy a Scientific Explorer model.

Comment

Interesting. With no smart card reader, it all depends in encryption from there. I would bet one of these would work:

Importing one would be a pin though, and unless you know someone who got it to work, a potentially risky venture.

Jammrock

Comment

umm jammrock, only a few satellite systems in the US use DVB-S... so I wouldn't bet on it

I suspect most of them use propriety systems that aren't breakable unless when the encryption/system has been 'hacked'

here's some background info on satellite reception in northern america:
                Last edited by dZeus; 2 August 2004, 13:42.

Comment

Interesting:

In theory, one of these cards might work. Your best bet is to call Roger's and see if their digital streams are completely DVB-C compatible. If they are, you could look into one of these DVB-C cards.

I couldn't find any DVB-C card carriers in North America, so it may be a pain getting one. If you google it some more I'm sure you can find a place to get one.

Jammrock
                  Last edited by Jammrock; 3 August 2004, 06:15.

Comment

of course you still need a smartcard for the service that's compatible with Common Interface.

Comment

But he said earlier that his cable box didn't use smart cards. It had the reader, but no card, which would mean it bypassed smart card security. If this be true, then he wouldn't have to worry about the smart card compatibility...in theory... at least not yet.

Jammrock

Comment

no. It probably means that the decryption is handled inside the settop box, with no chance of decrypting it through regular DVB-C equipment.

The chance of them not using encryption is close to 0, as it would allow anyone not paying for the digital cable service to receive it and watch it.

Comment

I believe that the signal is indeed decrypted inside the set top box. There's a huge cottage industry here for illegal satellite receivers but I've heard of no one who has illegally tapped into Rogers' digital cable network.

Comment

I guess I'm SOL then?

Comment

Originally posted by schmosef
                              I believe that the signal is indeed decrypted inside the set top box. There's a huge cottage industry here for illegal satellite receivers but I've heard of no one who has illegally tapped into Rogers' digital cable network.
                              I've seen a few, but they didn't work for long. As soon as rogers got ahold of one it wouldnt take them long to come up with a counter measure.

AFAIK, you can purchase these units outright from Radio Shack

It does look however that Rogers may be using the dvb-c standard:
                              Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Working...
                              X